Change Address through the Web Directory?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
davesudweeks

Change Address through the Web Directory?

Post by davesudweeks »

I think I know the answer, but am just verifying.

I am the Ward clerk and have been working out of the country for several weeks. I noticed that a member was moved into our ward without a street address. I know this individual and know their address.

I cannot add the Street Address through the online Directory, correct? I will have to wait until I get back in the US at the MLS computer to do so?

Alternately, I could have my wife call the information to our Membership clerk, but she has enough to do with me gone.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:I cannot add the Street Address through the online Directory, correct? I will have to wait until I get back in the US at the MLS computer to do so?

That's correct. You (or the member) can update a phone number or email address using the online Directory, but not a physical or mailing address -- that has to be changed using MLS. I imagine the Leader Tools will eventually allow that, but not yet.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
iansebryk

BUMP: this feature is purported to be available... verify?

Post by iansebryk »

the ability to change one's own address from the web directory (with valid login) is supposed to be available. i've heard a few of our members supposedly being able to make these changes... but i do not know how this can be done. which is somewhat frustrating being the ward's web administrator and a full blown web developer in my own right.

can someone please advise on this?

thanks.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

isebryk wrote:the ability to change one's own address from the web directory (with valid login) is supposed to be available. i've heard a few of our members supposedly being able to make these changes... but i do not know how this can be done. which is somewhat frustrating being the ward's web administrator and a full blown web developer in my own right.

can someone please advise on this?

thanks.

No, that's still not the case. As aebrown said previously you can edit your own phone number and email address in the directory application but you can't edit your physical address. Clerks and bishopric members can now edit addresses on-line in the Leader and Clerk tools but that is not available to members in general.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

isebryk wrote:the ability to change one's own address from the web directory (with valid login) is supposed to be available.

You have somewhat heard correctly. This functionality is now available to leaders through the Leader Portal. Since addresses determine which ward you should be in, I'd bet that's where that functionality will stay so that the ward leaders can correctly disposition membership records.

Note that functionality to move records between wards is still not implemented online for leaders. Hopefully someday soon...
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I am the membership clerk in our ward and also an assistant stake clerk. Evidently you can't have two positions with different access rights and expect to have the access granted to each positions. My stake position overrides my ward position, so even though I am a ward clerk, I can't change addresses..... Maybe someday?
randyhoffman

Obnoxious bug

Post by randyhoffman »

I just moved into a ward and I was able to add my own address through maps. However, the address for the home was legally changed a few years ago, so when I clicked my house, it added the old address, not the current one.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

randyhoffman wrote:I just moved into a ward and I was able to add my own address through maps. However, the address for the home was legally changed a few years ago, so when I clicked my house, it added the old address, not the current one.
You can't actually add or change your address using LDS Maps. You can only place the marker for your household in a physical location.

The address you saw is the address that is recorded in MLS (the software that wards and stakes use to keep track of membership records) for your household. If it is incorrect, contact your ward clerk, who can change it for you. That change will then be reflected on LDS Maps.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
luisfrocha

Re: Change Address through the Web Directory?

Post by luisfrocha »

For some reason I’m listed in Albuquerque, NM, instead of the ward where I was at previously, but not sure how I ended up listed there. It would be nice to update our own address online, and the ward leaders could then accept the changes on their portal to make it official.
mevans

Re: Change Address through the Web Directory?

Post by mevans »

luisfrocha wrote:For some reason I’m listed in Albuquerque, NM, instead of the ward where I was at previously, but not sure how I ended up listed there.
You'll need to work with a clerk in your ward to get it corrected. It should be a very quick change. There could be reasons, such as a clerk accidentally moving you out, or someone with a similar name and birthdate moved to Albuquerque and they got the incorrect records.
luisfrocha wrote:It would be nice to update our own address online, and the ward leaders could then accept the changes on their portal to make it official.
That's an interesting idea. You could submit it via the Feedback link at the bottom of the directory web page.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”