The Calendar Apparently has allowed a Scheduling Conflict.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
scote

The Calendar Apparently has allowed a Scheduling Conflict.

Post by scote »

The help page says that "The calendar will not allow two events to be scheduled at the same time in the same location."

I say that the calender DID allow two events to be scheduled at the same time in the same location. Three wards meet at my building the "North Shores, Roseville, Warren" building. There are, right now, two events (baptismal services) that are scheduled for the same room, the Baptismal Font, at overlapping times. One event is from 2:45 - 4:15 pm on Jan 14 and the other is at 3 - 6 pm on Jan 14. One service was scheduled by a Roseville ward member and the other was scheduled by me on behalf of a North Shores Ward member.

This has produces a very difficult situation. It would have been MUCH simpler if the tool prevented the second event from being scheduled at all.

Any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

This conversation started on the wiki, so I'll post my response here so that the conversation is in one place.

I have never seen this happen, and I've seen a lot of scheduling in my stake. I've seen multiple posts on the LDSTech forum that claim that a scheduling conflict occurred, but in every case that I can recall, it has turned out that there was a misunderstanding as to how the system worked, or a configuration error. That's not to say that a bug in the system is impossible, but I've never seen it.

The most common cause of misunderstanding is confusion between events and reservations. For example, one person schedules an actual event, and then the building scheduler creates a reservation on top of the event, expecting a conflict -- but by design this is not a conflict. The reverse also happens; a building scheduler creates a reservation, and then another building scheduler (or a calendar editor for the ward or stake the reservation is assigned to) creates an event on top of the reservation. Again, that is not a conflict, even though some people mistakenly think it is.

To which Scote responded:
Thanks for your help Aebrown. Neither event is a reservation. I am the building scheduler and I set up all reservation times for the three wards.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
printbr

Post by printbr »

We are getting the same thing in our stake. It IS IN FACT allowing people to schedule over the top of other events in the same location and rooms.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

printbr wrote:We are getting the same thing in our stake. It IS IN FACT allowing people to schedule over the top of other events in the same location and rooms.
One configuration problem that has led to this problem is having multiple locations with the same name. It's possible to have one location assigned to one or more wards, and a separate location with the same name assigned to different wards. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it is worth checking out.

Also, there was a particular bug that did allow conflicting events for building schedulers who scheduled events on top of reservations; I thought it was fixed, but I just tested it again and it is not. Does the detailed description I linked to seem to fit your situation?

Could you please supply some details to help us understand:
  • What reservations exist at that time (and what location/rooms are reserved)?
  • What events exist at that time (and what location/rooms are booked by those events)?
  • The role(s) of the people involved in creating these reservations and events.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
printbr

Post by printbr »

Yes that was exactly it.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

printbr wrote:Yes that was exactly it.

I mentioned two possible explanations in my post: two separate locations with the same name, and the bug that involves multiple events on top of a reservation. Just so I understand what was happening, which one are you saying was affecting your stake?
printbr

Post by printbr »

The bug involing multiple events on top of a reservation.

However here is another example of the problem.

1. the building scheduler under RESERVATIONS blocked out a time on wednesday every week. using the BLOCKED functuion rather than choosing a patricular ward.

2. An editor for one of the ward calendars (and I also tested it with a stake calendar) can schedule an event and reserve rooms at that same time.

So it appears that the BLOCKED function does not block anyone from scheduleing and reserving rooms.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

printbr wrote:So it appears that the BLOCKED function does not block anyone from scheduleing and reserving rooms.
The BLOCKED function does not prevent anyone who also happens to have Building Scheduler rights from placing an event on the room. That's one of the reasons we strongly advise against using Reservations as an event.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gwert

More info on the multiple bookings of same rooms

Post by gwert »

I am the Stake CLerk who added additional rooms at the Ward's request (to the reservation list). I originally thought they had different names for the same rooms. BUt, I"m looking at the reservations for the building now, by trying to book an all day event as a test, and I'm getting the red bar showing ALL of the day's events. There clearly two baptisms scheduled for times that overlap. I can send a screen shot to anybody that wants to see it. email me: gwert@prodigy.net
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gwert wrote:I can send a screen shot to anybody that wants to see it. email me: gwert@prodigy.net

You can attach a screen shot to your post.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”