5th Sunday Materials to train on Calendar, Directory, Other key tools

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
pwilson

5th Sunday Materials to train on Calendar, Directory, Other key tools

Post by pwilson »

We are planning a live training for our 5th Sunday in 3 weeks to focus specifically on the ward calendar, directory and usage of the gospel library online. I'm guessing there are existing materials out there that have been used to train on how to use the calendar, create an event, view directory information, update your contact info, upload a picture, view a photo directory, use gospel library etc and am hoping that those that have useful resources might share links etc.

Thanks much!

Paul
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There isn't enough time in an hour, or less, to train on all the topics you have listed. That is quite ambitious. But as an introductory overview it may be possible. But in my experience the questions will eat up the time on just one of the topics.

Both the calendarand directoryhave helps that can be used for the basic information. The calendar help has videos on the roles and other aspects of the calendar that may be useful.

Live training on a Sunday may have issues. The Church servers can get bogged down with the high amount of traffic and have been known to go down. This could be a show stopper at the most inopportune time. I would have a backup presentation that walks through the lesson using either something like PowerPoint or a screen capture program like Jing. Screen capture allows you to walk through as though you are actually on-line.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Live training on a Sunday may have issues. The Church servers can get bogged down with the high amount of traffic and have been known to go down. This could be a show stopper at the most inopportune time.

That's assuming your local network withstands everyone pulling out their tablets to "follow along".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:That's assuming your local network withstands everyone pulling out their tablets to "follow along".
Actually I was not referring to a local meetinghouse bandwidth issue but rather the number of times the Church servers get bogged down on Sundays from all the traffic from all the Church units.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Actually I was not referring to a local meetinghouse bandwidth issue but rather the number of times the Church servers get bogged down on Sundays from all the traffic from all the Church units.

Understood. I was just pointing out another place where "live" could fail.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

pwilson wrote:We are planning a live training
I'll cast my "no" vote for "live" training. When I did it, I used screen captures (print screen key on windows PC) and pasted them into OpenOffice Impress (Generic "free" alternative to Powerpoint.) Some manipulation was done on the images first in an image editing program (Gimp program, "free" alternative to Photoshop.)

Otherwise you'll eat up your time "waiting" on the spinning circle for page loads, and "buffering" pauses on your streaming videos, or worse... you'll show the ward the dread "Website down for Maintenance" screen just before your face turns really red. If you want a "simulated live" demo, it can be done easily, but I don't know an already prepared one.

My presentation was about all the offerings available on LDS.org, almost like a movie trailer. I was hoping to inspire them...to give them a WHY they want to use LDS.org, so they would go home and figure out HOW to use it. Or, call me to schedule a one-on-one. The "specifics" can get boring quickly if the audience is not actively engaged in what you say:
"now click this button, and find this menu choice here on the left, and you'll see this pop-up asking you to confirm.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
pwilson

Post by pwilson »

Would any of you be willing to share the presentations that you have made? We did a live demo a few months ago and it actually worked just fine, but want to go into more detail on how to use the calendar and directory.
cdymon

Re: 5th Sunday Materials to train on Calendar, Directory, Other key tools

Post by cdymon »

Thank you for these post's! My bishop has asked me to set up a few stations to take photo's and update contact information as well as to have some general training on the lds.org site. Any presentations that have already been put together would be a blessing!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: 5th Sunday Materials to train on Calendar, Directory, Other key tools

Post by sbradshaw »

cdymon wrote:Thank you for these post's! My bishop has asked me to set up a few stations to take photo's and update contact information as well as to have some general training on the lds.org site. Any presentations that have already been put together would be a blessing!
Here's a presentation I put together a few years ago (a few things are out of date since then):
https://www.slideshare.net/samuelhbrads ... church-day
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Main Church Website”