How do building schedulers schedule events?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
KevinBarlow

How do building schedulers schedule events?

Post by KevinBarlow »

As the Stake Website Administrator I thought I had the new calendar system running well. Anything anyone submits to me I can put on the appropriate stake calendar. However, I can't seem to answer anyone's questions or get things running right for building schedulers.

Our stake has four buildings and we have assigned a building scheduler to each of them. They cannot, however, add an event to a calendar. They can make a reservation. This doesn't show up on any calendar though.

What is the purpose of their role under these conditions? Or do I not have it set up correctly? Thanks in advance for your help

Kevin Barlow, Hyrum Utah North Stake
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

If you review the Building scheduler role, you'll see that scheduling events is not mentioned. I know that can seem a bit odd, given the term "scheduler", but it's the truth. A building scheduler is connected to a building, not a ward or the stake. It is ward or stake calendar editors and administrators who can put events on actual calendars.

Some stakes choose to create one or more stake calendars that they give building schedulers rights to add events to, but that isn't necessary. Let calendar editors create events, and building schedulers focus on creating reservations and resolving conflicts.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Take a look at the calendar help rights and roles of the building scheduler. This will explain what a building scheduler can do. The term "building scheduler" is a carryover term from the single point scheduling method used in the classic calendar module of the LUWS. It does not adequately describe what that position really does. A more adequate term would be more along the line of location coordinator or location conflict mediator.

One of the abilities a building scheduler has is to set aside a location (or room or equipment) for a stake or ward for a specific time period - a reservation. A reservation does not schedule or "book" the location (or room or equipment). That is done when an event is scheduled by an editor from the stake or ward for whom the reservation has been made. Reservations are displayed for members in the calendar week view when a location is selected in the "Locations" listbox. For more information about reservations see About reservations.

The distributed scheduling modelof the new calendar potentially makes everyone a calendar editor. Each ward can create any number of calendars with each calendar having any number of editors. It is the editors that actually have the the function of scheduling the location. The calendar system, when properly set up, deconflicts location and room scheduling during event creation. The system essentially abides by a first-come-first-served location and room/equipment scheduling method. The building scheduler only steps in to resolve unique scheduling situations. But as you noted a building scheduler has no ability to create events by virtue of that position alone.

Administrators, such as the stake website administrator, have by default editor rights to all public stake calendars. Likewise for ward administrators for public ward calendars. Ward administrators (see the calendar rights and roles for administrators for a list of default ward administrators) approve all calendars submitted for their ward. Anyone in the ward can submit, or create, calendars. The creator of a calendar is by default an editor of that calendar. For more information on creating calendars see Managing calendars.

If you as a stake administrator have made yourself a building scheduler for the stake center then you have both administrator and building scheduler rights. Ward building schedulers will not necessarily be administrators. Unless they are designated an editor for a calendar then they will not have editor rights. But when designated an editor for a calendar then they will, but only for the calendars to which they have been designated an editor.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

Way confusing. Is there a way to make all events submitted to a resource first have to have approval? For some reason now it appears anyone can add an event to the buildings and it goes in unless there is a conflict. Is there a way to change this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ldsrussp wrote:Way confusing. Is there a way to make all events submitted to a resource first have to have approval? For some reason now it appears anyone can add an event to the buildings and it goes in unless there is a conflict. Is there a way to change this?

No. and it's not "anyone", it's limited to calendar editors. The only way to change it is to give the building scheduler editor rights to all the calendars and removed everyone else.

However, I don't think the building scheduler can be made an editor of a calendar that is not in his ward. So that won't work for multi-ward buildings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”