Address vanishing after member updates contact details

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Biggles

Address vanishing after member updates contact details

Post by Biggles »

After a member updated their contact details, in the on-line Directory, their address vanished from MLS. I reentered their details and about a week later (last 24 hours) exactly the same thing happened again.

Has any one else had this happen to them?

We are in Europe, because of data protection laws all profiles by default are private.

I checked the Directory entry again today and discovered that on this second occasion, the member had changed the profile to public.

It would appear, in this instance, that if the member edits their profile, their address disappears.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

This happened to us with one family last week. I was at the church Saturday running some end-of-year reports and when I transmitted, there were 2 changes:
The Wife's personal e-mail address changed
The Family's Address, City, State disappeared (replaced by blank fields). The Zip Code stayed and both GEO Codes stayed.

I didn't put two and two together until the post above. We corrected the information Sunday (after I teased them about wanting to go incognito) so will watch to see if it sticks.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

This just happened again this evening. A second family in our ward made a change on lds.org: they deleted their individual e-mail addresses and added a family e-mail address. During the MLS transmission, their Residential Street, City, and State addresses were deleted from their membership record. As noted in my post above, their Zip Code and both GEO Codes were not affected. This family has a separate mailing address and that was not affected at all.

I send a MLS Help request and also posted a feedback note on lds.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:TThis family has a separate mailing address and that was not affected at all.

Here's a wild thought: did the other family that had their address disappear also have a separate mailing address? I'm just wondering why this problem (changing an email address on lds.org wipes out the residential street address) seems to happen to a few people, when many others successfully make such changes on lds.org with no negative impact on other information on their record.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I'm just wondering why this problem (changing an email address on lds.org wipes out the residential street address) seems to happen to a few people, when many others successfully make such changes on lds.org with no negative impact on other information on their record.

Do we have examples if it working right since the release of 1.7 on Dec 20th?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RussellHltn wrote:Do we have examples if it working right since the release of 1.7 on Dec 20th?

This occurred to the same member, in the last 10 days. Could this be a problem introduced by the roll out of 1.7?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Do we have examples if it working right since the release of 1.7 on Dec 20th?
Wow, I think you may be on to something. I saw a change come through last night on an email address, and thought I would quickly show it as a counterexample. But then I saw that the residential address was reduced to just a postal code. And this example shot down my little theory about a separate mailing address -- this household did not have one. This sounds like a huge problem in the making. I'll escalate it right away.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

This should be fixed now. Unfortunately, those deleted addresses will need to be re-entered in MLS...
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Has this problem recurred? I recently found four households with missing addresses in MLS.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RossEvans wrote:Has this problem recurred? I recently found four households with missing addresses in MLS.
Never mind. Upon further investigation, I think this was probably due to local action within MLS.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”