Authorized list of callings for PVC

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

rgme

Authorized list of callings for PVC

Post by rgme »

So, I'm trying to see who I should email about the availability of PVC in my stake. I'm wondering if I could get a more inclusive list, if there are any other callings that apply. For example, what about:
  1. Ward clerks
  2. Ward assistant clerks
  3. Branch executive secretaries
  4. Stake assistant executive secretaries
  5. Stake assistant clerks
These are based on the callings from the already-published list.

Thanks!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Ward clerks, ward assistant clerks, and branch executive secretaries are not included. For a ward it is the bishop and executive secretary. For a branch it is the branch president and branch clerk. The branch clerk is included because most branches do not have executive secretaries.

From your list only one stake assistant clerk, the STS, is included.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

rgme wrote:So, I'm trying to see who I should email about the availability of PVC in my stake. I'm wondering if I could get a more inclusive list, if there are any other callings that apply. For example, what about:
  1. Ward clerks
  2. Ward assistant clerks
  3. Branch executive secretaries
  4. Stake assistant executive secretaries
  5. Stake assistant clerks
These are based on the callings from the already-published list.

Thanks!
The list shown on the link you posted is inclusive. As you point out, there are a number of other secretary and clerk callings at the stake/district and ward/branch level. Quite frankly, I'd love to authorize them all, but haven't done so because we need to keep the numbers manageable based on system capacity. However, they are not precluded from using PVC. The thought was to enable at least one person in an administrative role for each presiding body (mission presidency, stake presidency, bishopric, etc.) so that they could assist in setting up PVC meetings without necessarily requiring the bishop or stake president to do it personally. Those who need to be included in the meeting can join as guests (click herefor directions) even though they don't have PVC accounts. That way, anyone whom the ecclesiastical leader would like to include in PVC meetings can participate - we leave that to his discretion on who to invite.

Many people ask about why the branch executive secretary is not included. In the official list of Church callings, there is no such thing as a branch executive secretary - branch clerk is the only thing that shows up.

Thanks for your question!
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

ksolsen wrote: Many people ask about why the branch executive secretary is not included. In the official list of Church callings, there is no such thing as a branch executive secretary - branch clerk is the only thing that shows up.
Which list are you looking at?

I see it in handbook 2 here. Under Branch Callings in Stakes it says
Other branch callings See “Ward Callings,” pages 162–64, substituting branch president for bishop and branch for ward.
and under Branch Callings in Missions is says
Branch clerk, assistant clerk, and executive secretary
Also I see Branch Executive Secretary as a standard position in CDOL with almost 2000 currently serving.

Edit: that being said there are over 4000 Branch Clerks so that still might be the better option.
rgme

Post by rgme »

ksolsen wrote: The thought was to enable at least one person in an administrative role for each presiding body (mission presidency, stake presidency, bishopric, etc.) so that they could assist in setting up PVC meetings without necessarily requiring the bishop or stake president to do it personally.
Ok, that makes more sense. I was wondering why wards were allowed executive secretaries and branches were allowed clerks, but I see the reasoning above. Thanks for explaining!
ssdirect

PVC = Personal Video Conferencing?

Post by ssdirect »

rgme wrote:Ok, that makes more sense. I was wondering why wards were allowed executive secretaries and branches were allowed clerks, but I see the reasoning above. Thanks for explaining!

Was it just me or does everyone know just what PVC stands for?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ssdirect wrote:Was it just me or does everyone know just what PVC stands for?
This thread is in a forum section titled Personal Video Conferencing, so if you noticed that, then it would be obvious. The section title is in the breadcrumbs at the top of this page. But depending on how you get to the post, the forum section may not grab your attention.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

JonesRK wrote:Which list are you looking at?

I see it in handbook 2 here. Under Branch Callings in Stakes it says
and under Branch Callings in Missions is says
Also I see Branch Executive Secretary as a standard position in CDOL with almost 2000 currently serving.

Edit: that being said there are over 4000 Branch Clerks so that still might be the better option.

Ryan - thank you for looking into this (good to know we have a CDOL expert on board!) As it turns out, the CDOL data source we are pulling from (provided by stack team) is incomplete, and does not show the Branch Executive Secretary calling, which led me to incorrectly assume that the calling does not exist. We are now in process of correcting that. I'll get the Branch Executive Secretary position added as soon as we're ready.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
rgme

Post by rgme »

I don't mean to open the floodgates not that you have mentioned this, but what about ward clerks? IMHO, having both sides of the "support staff" represented would be optimal (i.e., both the clerk and executive secretary at the ward, branch, and stake levels). However, I realize you're balancing this with the costs, so I guess one side could work.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”