Does unit Home Teaching reporting get transmitted to the Stake in MLS?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mattprasmussen

Does unit Home Teaching reporting get transmitted to the Stake in MLS?

Post by mattprasmussen »

When a unit enters the home teaching and visiting teaching on a monthly basis, is that information sent to the Stake when the unit does a send and receive? I always thought at least the aggregate count of total households visited would get sent to the Stake. Can any of you Stake Clerks confirm? I've looked through pages of search results but can only find one post about the Stake making a custom report only to find that not every unit populates the fields available to the Stake.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The statistics for the unit get passed to the stake. A stake can therefore NOT see who did their hometeaching, and who was home taught, but they can see the final numbers and statistics.
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. It doesn't make sense that the Stake would need to know specifically who was getting home taught and/or who was reported as completing their home teaching, but having the total numbers by unit is sufficient. Our Stake continues to have people call the EQ and HPGL to ask for their total numbers and then write the statistics by hand for Stake leadership. It seems much better to just print it from MLS but I wanted to confirm it was possible before recommending the change in reporting process.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The question is how often does the stats get sent? I'm sure the quarterly report does. I'm not so sure about the monthly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The stats show up every month. I don't know if there is a specific day, or if they are part of the updates received with every send/receive. Timing might be a reason the stake calls, though.

Another thought-the stats generated in MLS are often different from what the EQ or HPGL would report. All households are included in the statistics, and there have been some issues with records lingering even after someone has moved out of the unit, possibly affecting the calculations. Final issue is getting all the wards to use it. However, even with all that, I would still use the numbers it generates displays over calling everyone every month.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

mattprasmussen wrote: Our Stake continues to have people call the EQ and HPGL to ask for their total numbers...
From a stake perspective, there may be other reasons why the calls are made. For example:
1) The stake wants them by a certain date, and uses the call to help facilitate the prompt gathering of data....
2) The stake uses that as an "individual contact" much like a home teaching PPI for the EQ or HPGL....
and I can think of a few other reasons....
sestes

Post by sestes »

crislapi wrote:The statistics for the unit get passed to the stake. A stake can therefore NOT see who did their hometeaching, and who was home taught, but they can see the final numbers and statistics.

My stake is asking for the specific families that haven't been home taught for 2 consecutive months and for families that are not assigned to be taught. Is this a feature that will be available in "leadership resources"?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

sestes wrote:My stake is asking for the specific families that haven't been home taught for 2 consecutive months and for families that are not assigned to be taught. Is this a feature that will be available in "leadership resources"?
Perhaps one day, but only if there is a change in the mentality of what information the stake actually needs (i.e what the system is programmed to do). I would not count on it. For the foreseeable future, the only way to receive this information is to have each ward report this information to the stake.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

sestes wrote:My stake is asking for the specific families that haven't been home taught for 2 consecutive months and for families that are not assigned to be taught. Is this a feature that will be available in "leadership resources"?
kisaac wrote:From a stake perspective, there may be other reasons why....
Asking for such information seems common in the wards/ stakes I've been in. Again, from a stake perspective, there are other reasons why they may be asking the wards for this info... I don't suspect your stake leaders want to know the answers in your report as much as they want to make sure you, as WARD LEADERS, know the answers in the report. Asking for the report forces the ward to focus on information the stake deems necessary, and might be teaching principles to some of the newer ward leaders.

BTW, if you are asking for an easy way to provide such a report to the stake, use the copy and paste feature to copy your reports from the appropriate reports in MLS and paste them into a spreadsheet. Don't retype anything!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”