Weeks with no Financial Information

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
funaddict

Weeks with no Financial Information

Post by funaddict »

We didn't process tithing on Dec. 25, we did it the next day on Dec. 26. Do I check the box that asks if there was no financial info for the week of Dec. 25? Dec. 26 is in the week of Dec. 25, is it not? I can't seem to do any financial stuff in MLS because it wants me to close out the fiscal year first, and I can't seem to get anywhere without checking that box first. Help please!
Alan
funaddict

Post by funaddict »

Never mind, I had to get the previous year closed so that MLS would let me enter in the new donations, so I just took a chance and clicked that button. It seemed to be OK, but I did have to restart MLS to get it to close the year out. The year end close out check list was just sitting there doing nothing until I restarted, Then when I logged back in and clicked on "close out the year" in my urgent list, it sped through and closed it out.
I think it needs to be worded differently, when it asks if there were no donations for a certain week. Maybe it should ask about a certain "Sunday" instead of the whole week. I tried to check the "view/update donations" batch list to make sure the Dec 26 batch had actually been recorded, but MLS wouldn't let me do anything financial without closing out the previous year first. Now that I successfully closed out 2011, I was able to confirm that the Dec 26 batch had been received, and had not been deleted when I clicked the button affirming that there was no financial info for the week Dec 25.
Alan
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

funaddict wrote:I tried to check the "view/update donations" batch list to make sure the Dec 26 batch had actually been recorded, but MLS wouldn't let me do anything financial without closing out the previous year first.

Not sure as I understand the purpose of checking that off that a week wasn't done if there's no way to "fix" it before proceeding.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Not sure as I understand the purpose of checking that off that a week wasn't done if there's no way to "fix" it before proceeding.
The general reason for checking off the box is to make sure you didn't accidentally skip a week of donations. So you either create the batch you missed, or you check the box.

But once you are in the new year, you have to close the fiscal year before you can move on and do anything financial. So if you've somehow neglected to create a batch in the previous year, you'll have to check the box anyway, close the fiscal year, and go back and create your batch. There's not much reason for the question in that particular situation. But I'm sure MLS is just using the same method to check for missing batches, whether or not it's now the new fiscal year.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
funaddict

Post by funaddict »

aebrown wrote:The general reason for checking off the box is to make sure you didn't accidentally skip a week of donations. So you either create the batch you missed, or you check the box.
I understand the reason for checking the box. Typically, this has only been because of Stake or General Conference, or the rare weather related church closure. My issue with it was that I didn't skip a week of donations. We just processed them on Monday instead of Sunday. I was hesitant to check off the box saying I had no batch for that week, when I DID have one. My first thought was that maybe something went wrong with transmitting that batch's info to CHQ. That's when I tried in vain to look at the "View/Update" batch info, to make sure CHQ actually had a record of it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”