Gospel Library Art Kit for iPhone and Android

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
shmyers21

Gospel Library Art Kit for iPhone and Android

Post by shmyers21 »

Remember the old gospel library art kit that had all the church pictures nicely organized into sections (100, 200, etc.)? I would really like to make an app that has all 150 or so pictures that you can now get online or in a spiral-bound notebook. Imagine on an iPad. I would have a gallery of all the pictures that you could pick and choose one and once the full picture came up, there would be an info button that you could click on and the picture would flip over and have the entire description of the picture (the one that was originally on the back of the art kit pictures). I have no coding experience and don't see that any app like this is in the works. Who wants to help me? Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's technical issues and copyright issues. You'll probably have to get copyright clearance for the artwork before doing that. The church doesn't always own the rights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
shmyers21

Post by shmyers21 »

I filled out and emailed the church an official copyright request form to be able to use each of the pictures as well as the explanations for the app. Who knows if they'll approve it.
rootbeericecream

Post by rootbeericecream »

It would be even better if it could be eventually incorporated into the Gospel Library app.
repope

LDSScriptures

Post by repope »

LDSScriptures has the art kit available. I am not sure what permissions they need to get to use it, but if they can, is should be possible for others.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

rootbeericecream wrote:It would be even better if it could be eventually incorporated into the Gospel Library app.
It would make a great improvement to the Gospel Library app. The other thing I'd love to see in the app is hymns in a words & music format—currently I use a third party hymns app, but would love to have it integrated to the Gospel Library app.
dmsmith35

LDSScriptures Gospel Art Kit for iPad only

Post by dmsmith35 »

repope wrote:LDSScriptures has the art kit available. I am not sure what permissions they need to get to use it, but if they can, is should be possible for others.

For whatever reason, LDSScriptures' software only support the Gospel Art Kit for the Apple iPad. This is very disappointing, especially since there are plenty of Android, etc. devices with screens large enough to reasonably display pictures.
dmsmith35

Android app for new LDS "Gospel Art Book"

Post by dmsmith35 »

dmsmith35 wrote:For whatever reason, LDSScriptures' software only support the Gospel Art Kit for the Apple iPad. This is very disappointing, especially since there are plenty of Android, etc. devices with screens large enough to reasonably display pictures.

The "LDS Gospel Art Book" app on Google's "Android Market" claims "LDS Gospel Art Book contains all of the images from the LDS Gospel Art Book in an easy to use app." It only has 4 reviews, but all are "4" or "5" on a 5-point scale. It's supposed to work on any Android device.

The tricky thing for me is that the #-# numbering system used in the Nursery/Primary manuals and art kits don't always have a match in the ### numbering system used in the main Gospel Art Book. That separte numbering system will change over time as the Nusery/Primary manuals are updated to reference the newer "Gospel Art Book" (published March 2009) which is replacing the older "Gospel Art Picture Kit".

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”