An error occured while attempting to communicate with the server

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
Robertar

An error occured while attempting to communicate with the server

Post by Robertar »

I recently bought a Huawei Cricket phone with Android Gingerbread, and when I download the gospel library app, each time I try to access the content, it tells me, "An error occured while attempting to communicate with the server." I'm not sure where to go to get help with this error, so I'm posting here hoping someone can help me out. It also seems to happen with the English language portion, as the other languages seem to be working fine. Thanks!
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

This is generally due to the server being unavailable. We are working to determine if it has been a server outage or some other issue.

Please try to download again and if you get the error again, immediatley go to menu/ help / #ubmit a bug report so we can see what is happening on your phone.
Jason Hyer
Robertar

Post by Robertar »

Thanks for the help Jason Hyer!

Well, after switching to a wireless network instead of my cellular one, it seemed to work after that. Don't know what it really was, but oh well. :) Just to let you know. Thanks!
leonilsonlopes

Post by leonilsonlopes »

Hi Jason,

I have the same problem (with message: "You must be connected to a network (cellular or WiFi) to access the server), and its obviously because I'm not connected on the internet. However, when this happens, it keeps me from seeing my downloaded content, because I need to use gospel library being off line. The strange thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes I open Gospel library and have access to my downloaded content normally (being offline), other times this message simply blocks my Gospel Library. Is that a bug? Is there a way to make GL not to check connectivity?
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

We made changes in the most recent release that should prevent the problem you are describing. I would check to make sure you have the most recent release (2.1.4.5) and see if you continue to have the problem. You may also go into the settings and uncheck the option to check for updates. If you do this though, you will need to manually check for the most recent content by selecting the "refresh content" in the top right of the library screen.

If you continue to have issues, please send a bug report through the help menu in the app after the app does the check for content. You will need to queue up an email to send us once you connect to the internet again but having the bug report is invaluable to us in troubleshooting this kind of problem.
Jason Hyer
leonilsonlopes

Post by leonilsonlopes »

jasonhyer wrote:We made changes in the most recent release that should prevent the problem you are describing. I would check to make sure you have the most recent release (2.1.4.5) and see if you continue to have the problem. You may also go into the settings and uncheck the option to check for updates. If you do this though, you will need to manually check for the most recent content by selecting the "refresh content" in the top right of the library screen.

If you continue to have issues, please send a bug report through the help menu in the app after the app does the check for content. You will need to queue up an email to send us once you connect to the internet again but having the bug report is invaluable to us in troubleshooting this kind of problem.
Jason,

Thank you for your reply!
I have disable the check for content, but the problem persisted. However, I figured out why it happens, so It can help you in the nexts releases:

If I close the GL when the language chosen has no items downloaded and then you open again without internet connection, it gives me the message and doesn't show the language selection bar, so i got stuck! When connected on the internet again, the language selection bar is shown, and then I was able to chose the language I have items downloaded. The solution is just simply show the language selection bar even thou you dont have internet connection.

Regards
Leonilson Lopes

Return to “Android Gospel Library”