System Clock Change; Error in Logging in MLS;

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
luiedaclan

System Clock Change; Error in Logging in MLS;

Post by luiedaclan »

How can I reset the time of our MLS so I can send/receive changes. Our computer has been modifying its time on its own, so there is System Clock Error whenever I try to log-in or send/receive after changing the date to the least date required in logging in.

Marluie
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

luiedaclan wrote:How can I reset the time of our MLS so I can send/receive changes. Our computer has been modifying its time on its own, so there is System Clock Error whenever I try to log-in or send/receive after changing the date to the least date required in logging in.

Marluie
Hi Marluie, and welcome to the forum. Before proceeding, please read this Wiki article regarding Changing the system date. It explains what some of the pitfalls are.

If your clock is changing due to human intervention, I would recommend taking the steps outlined in the above Wiki article to better secure the system clock from tampering. However, if your PC clock truly drifts on its own over time and you have Internet access, I highly recommend a tiny utility called Dimension4 that will keep your system clock dead on accurate. Each time you boot up it will automatically correct the time. You can also set it to re-correct the time on a given interval, like every few hours.

As with any non-church approved software, I would seek the approval of your stake president and STS before installing. I've used it in everything from industrial/scientific R&D computers, PC's in emergency communication centers, to all my home PC's, all with extremely good success.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

luiedaclan wrote:Our computer has been modifying its time on its own, so there is System Clock Error whenever I try to log-in or send/receive after changing the date to the least date required in logging in.

Typically if a computer really has problems, it falls behind. Perhaps back to 1980 or some other very old date. While annoying, I doubt if you'd be here asking how to "reset the time of our MLS" if that was what you were experiencing.

While not impossible, I suspect your computer has had human help. Some users find the Set Date/Time feature as a handy-dandy reference calendar. They use it for things like what day is the next fast Sunday. The problem is, if they click "OK" instead of 'Cancel", they've set the computer clock to that date. The Wiki reference given by Mikerowaved puts a stop to that.

I do that prevention with all the clerk computers I deploy in the stake. The worst I've seen it is the time is off by 10-20 minutes. No one calls me with a MLS date problem. :cool:
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

I had one unit that was doing the same thing. In fact there was on time that the date and time was set to just about a year away. We discovered that because the security feature wouldn't allow a send and receive.

In order for us to get MLS back to working correctly, we had to do a restore from the known good backup. So we had to log into MLS with the date that MLS expected and then do the restore. Then before we logged back into MLS, we reset the date back to the correct date. Then everything was fine.

I eventually had to remove the permission that the clock in Windows could be changed. Once I did that, I haven't had a problem with the unit. So you will need to lock it down.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

luiedaclan wrote:How can I reset the time of our MLS so I can send/receive changes. Our computer has been modifying its time on its own, so there is System Clock Error whenever I try to log-in or send/receive after changing the date to the least date required in logging in.

Marluie
You can try the steps listed in this post.
aprayzr

Post by aprayzr »

You also may want to consider replacing the battery on the motherboard of the computer will not keep time. The battery keeps the clock going when the computer is switched off and is typically the cause of the computer starting up with a ridiculously old date, such as 1/1/1980. The battery is typically a #2032, about the size of a nickel and sold at various retailers, including WalMart, Staples, etc. Easily replaceable.

Return to “Clerk Computers”