New Photo not showing up for assignment

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
stanmoore1

Post by stanmoore1 »

We are having a similar problem. We have 3 or so members that no matter how many times we upload their photo, it will never display properly. It just stays blank.
stanmoore1

Post by stanmoore1 »

I found a workaround to the problems I was having with the photos.

Problem: We had several members for whom we had uploaded and approved photos of the correct size. However, in the directory they always showed up blank, as if the link was broken. This was different from the "generic person" outline when no photo has ever been uploaded.

Workaround: In the Manage Photos section, I reassigned the photo that was showing blank to some other member of the ward (preferably one without a picture). For some reason, this caused the photo to display properly. I then reassigned the photo back to the correct member (whose photo it actually was) and everything works now. This appears to be a bug in the website.
stanmoore1

Post by stanmoore1 »

Now that I got all of the photos to display, I can also export a PDF file of the directory that includes photos, as before I got an error (see https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... nute.-quot ). It appears that these two problems may be linked.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

stanmoore1 wrote:Now that I got all of the photos to display, I can also export a PDF file of the directory that includes photos, as before I got an error (see https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... nute.-quot ). It appears that these two problems may be linked.

Thanks stanmoore1, for tracking this down. We'll work on improving the PDF service so it handles photo errors better. We're also looking into how photos can get into this state in the first place. We've already made several improvements in the last couple months.
david.north

Post by david.north »

I am an Assistant Stake Clerk - Technology Spc. I'm new to my calling, so this and other forums are great learning tools.

My stake is a YSA Stake, so the majority of the stake leadership is out-of-unit.

Example of the problem we are experiencing:

One of our HC has uploaded a photo as head of household to his home ward directory. His ward clerk approved the photo.
On the YSA Stake Leaders and Organizations, Stake Presidency list, his photo shows up with the browser default image for a broken link.
If I copy the link to the clipboard, and paste it into the same browser, new tab, a 404 error is returned.
If I do the same thing for one of the few photos that show correctly, the photo is returned.

Thoughts?

Here is a snip from Fiddler2 for one of the two photos where this problem is experienced:

GET https://lds.org/bcs/content?token=C6RbP ... bcCw%2bt7w
404 Not Found (text/html)
adamrwinterton

Same Problem

Post by adamrwinterton »

I am the Ward Executive Secretary and also having a problem uploading pictures. I'm in a Provo YSA ward and so we take pictures in bulk at the beginning of semesters. I've tried uploading in large bulks and smaller batches of 5-10. About 1/3 of the pictures display the "x" or broken link image after uploading in the "New Photo's" section. So I delete them and assign all the photo's that did display correctly. I then check "Manage Photo's" to make sure they all worked properly just to find more pictures displaying as the broken link.

If I reassign the photo from within the "Manage Photo's section" to a different person, publish the assignment, then delete the assignment I can go back to "New Photo's" and try again with about a 75% success rate. Definitely seems to be a problem with the coding somewhere. Maybe a resizing problem or a codec issue. I've tried the same process in Mozilla, Chrome, and unfortunately IE all with the same results. We are uploading unedited/original sized photo's from cameras 10+ megapixels.

Is there a solution to this annoying and time consuming problem?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

adamrwinterton wrote:Maybe a resizing problem or a codec issue.

If you upload the exact same photo, does it choke again, or is there a good chance it will go though? If so, then it's probably not the resizing, but something else.

I'm wondering if it's the randomization of storage - that one of the folders the photo is being placed in doesn't have the proper permissions.

Edit: Interesting.

I took some working links from my stakes directory. If I paste them into a fresh browser window, I'm taken to the sign on page. If I paste the URL in again (without signing on), I get the photo. It appears a cookie must be set.

But if I try your bad link in a fresh browser, it takes me to a sign in link. But I can't get around it by pasting again. If I sign in, then I get a 404. if I paste in again, I get the sign in screen again, with a "1830" flashing briefly by as I'm taken to the lds.org screen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”