Reserving location for zone conference

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
drepouille

Reserving location for zone conference

Post by drepouille »

The mission routinely uses our meetinghouses (stake centers) for zone conferences. However, there is no "unit" for the mission. I can create locations, but I can't create units.

How should we handle this? Should we just consider zone conferences to be stake events, and create a stake calendar for them?

Thanks,
Dana in Omaha/Council Bluffs
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For the time being, I'd handle it just like how you'd do a private wedding.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:The mission routinely uses our meetinghouses (stake centers) for zone conferences. However, there is no "unit" for the mission. I can create locations, but I can't create units.

How should we handle this? Should we just consider zone conferences to be stake events, and create a stake calendar for them?

No one in the mission is going to be adding events to your calendar anyway, so it does seem that the simplest solution is to just create a stake calendar (or use an existing stake calendar) to reserve the building. I don't know if it needs to be on any public calendar, or if you simply want to reserve the building so that no other event can use it. If you only need to book the building, then it's the same issue as reserving the building for a wedding reception, family reunion, or similar functions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I think the best thing to do is to create a blocked reservation. Zone conferences don't need to appear on any public calendar, only on the reservation calendar for the location.
Thanks,
Dana
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I think the best thing to do is to create a blocked reservation. Zone conferences don't need to appear on any public calendar, only on the reservation calendar for the location.

The problem is that doesn't actually "book" the resource. Yes, it should keep other calendar editors from scheduling the resource, but it won't prevent the building scheduler from creating a conflicting event. Also, a reservation doesn't "bump" anything that might already be scheduled.

I highly recommend a "Private Event" or "Resource Only" calendar that's used for situations like this. You can make it a private calendar if you wish so that the rest of the stake won't see it.

Edit: If you read some of the gripes that have been posted to this section, many, if not most, are from people who have attempted to use Reservations as a replacement for events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”