For Family Search

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
MayaML

For Family Search

Post by MayaML »

I am not sure where I should suggest this but it would be great to add namevariants in teh search. Like here John can be Johannes, Johan or even Jon. That means that when thsi operson with name Johannes moved to USA the name was translated to John and this makes searc of family difficult as the searcher does not even know the original name the person was called at babtisement.
You can get the variations at: http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski/3e11r9?fi+*+kastetut by writting the firstname in LAPSI, etunimi... and click "Hae" at the bottom. The Finnish search site is build up with many possibilities.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

New FamilySearch already has technology for variants. For example, I search for "John Conzatti" and I get matches not only for John Conzatti (the name he adopted in the USA), but also "Giovanni Battista Conzatti" (the name he was born with) and even a "João Conzatti" (who was born in Austria/Italy but moved to Brazil).

It certainly may be the case that there are more names and more variants that should be included (and I can imagine that Finnish names would be more obscure and less likely to be fully implemented at this point), but the basic technology is already in place.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

OK. On fb I heard that that function is not in FS. Good to hear it possibly is. Thanks. It may be that there are more variants in Finnish... that weird language :p. Anyway one can find them on the Finnish link.
Thanks for info!

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”