Finding the right camera for webcast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jlisonb2

Finding the right camera for webcast

Post by jlisonb2 »

I am trying to set up a webcast for district conference in a remote part of Australia. We have successfully used the LDS meetinghouse webcast software using a small webcam but we would like to have pan/zoom capabilities, so I am looking for a good camera.

Here is the issue. There are two of us with laptops that we can use for the stream. Mine is a windows machine and the other is a Mac. Mine has an HDMI input but no firewire, the Mac has firewire but no HDMI. Is there a camera that has both outputs? Or is there an alternative.

An alternative that I just found is something like this http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... live2.html which would convert s-video to USB. Does anyone have any experience with a converter like this and would this work?
Many Thanks
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

jlisonb2 wrote:I am trying to set up a webcast for district conference in a remote part of Australia. We have successfully used the LDS meetinghouse webcast software using a small webcam but we would like to have pan/zoom capabilities, so I am looking for a good camera.

Here is the issue. There are two of us with laptops that we can use for the stream. Mine is a windows machine and the other is a Mac. Mine has an HDMI input but no firewire, the Mac has firewire but no HDMI. Is there a camera that has both outputs? Or is there an alternative.

An alternative that I just found is something like this http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... live2.html which would convert s-video to USB. Does anyone have any experience with a converter like this and would this work?
Many Thanks

I haven't tried the converter, but the camera that we use is the Sony EVI-D70. Great camera and we are using the computer and software to control the camera. We used a TV capture card for the first time, but we ran into Sync issue.

We have switched to the Osprey card, but haven't had a full test. If you use this, I would like to know if this works with PVC.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

...Mine has an HDMI input
Are you sure your laptop has an HDMI input? I've only seen HDMI outputs on laptops.
This looks just like the Roxio USB Capturedevice, which many on this forum have expressed having success using it.

I second the vote for the Sony EVI-D70 camera. All functions of this camera (P/T/Z, focus, color balance, etc.) can be operated remotely.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”