Directory version 1.7 released!

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

many great ideas...in future releases, it would be great to see some local control built in -- i can't imagine what a task it would be to maintain a centralized database for a worldwide church that was always correct and in synch. but as elder packer once said, "the church is no larger than a ward". so how about allowing the local ward to add in the current mailing address of missionaries serving FROM that ward instead of putting that burden on headquarters? and what is the source of the current missionaries serving IN the ward? our directory is now showing two missionaries assigned to our ward who have never been seen or heard of at any time in our stake. at first i thought they were just transferred in! but in fact, it is simply wrong, and there is no way to give feedback or to correct it...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd like to see the ability to add missionaries serving FROM the ward. Particularly the singles wards. Most of those missionaries officially leave from their parent's ward, but they are better known by the singles ward they were in when just prior to leaving.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

nbflint wrote:Something that would make the Missionary section even better would be to display the mission office (or other) mailing address. Alternatively, give the ward clerks access to add an address.

We want to show as much info as we can. For now we are showing everything the missionary department allows us to show.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

geowizrd wrote:and what is the source of the current missionaries serving IN the ward?

The source of both missionary sections is the database of the church's mission department. The assignments for the missionary companionship serving in your ward is controlled by the local mission president.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One quirk I've noticed with the new directory (probably was there before). By default, when you select a unit it goes to "Households" where it starts to work on the list. If you select another option on the left side (such as Ward Organization), the list building of households does not abort and will overwrite the middle column. You then have to re-select Ward Organization to get the right middle column back.

This wouldn't be so bad if something else was made the default.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KyleErickson

Post by KyleErickson »

I would like to see a place where the start-date, end-date of the missionary can be displayed. That way the ward/stake members can know when the missionary is expected to return home. Also a place to put his mailing address and/or package address.
zaneclark

Email From Members

Post by zaneclark »

AileneRHerrick wrote:I really like the new changes. Thank you!

I've also notice an "Email" button for emailing members of an organization. Who is this feature available to? Is is only available to administrators and certain leaders? Or is it available to general membership?

I just tested this by logging in under my wife's name, (she is a Primary Teacher,) and she had the full emailing rights.... I am not sure about this feature... I'm hesitating in announcing this feature to the ward until I think about it a little... There seems to be the possibility for some misuse.
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

zaneclark wrote:I just tested this by logging in under my wife's name, (she is a Primary Teacher,) and she had the full emailing rights.... I am not sure about this feature... I'm hesitating in announcing this feature to the ward until I think about it a little... There seems to be the possibility for some misuse.

ward email lists will always exist, whether they are maintained in mls/directory or on an ad hoc basis by various ward organizations. so they might as well be in a central location where they are easily maintained for the benefit of the entire ward. the possibility of misuse, though real, is outweighed by the good that can come from timely and efficient communication. if there is misuse, the member's lds account or access should simply be under the control of the local leader (not currently the case), who can best judge the situation. as far as announcing it goes, perhaps consider just letting the dozen or so people in the ward know who actually need it. i'm guessing the directory email link is more "open" than the messaging app simply because an email sent from the directory uses an individual's email client (so they are responsible), while the messaging app (which is more restricted) sends an email "through the church", as clarified in this other thread:
jdcr256 wrote:For clarity's sake, there is no relation between the messaging app (referenced in this thread) and the directory app. They run on separate servers and don't share any common code. They don't talk to each other in any way. Directory does not support any messaging services, it just provides email addresses. Emails must be sent from the users mail client.
zaneclark

Email Concerns

Post by zaneclark »

I again tested the email feature using my wife's account. Not only could she send an email to our own ward, but to the members in any ward in the stake. I agree this is a great feature if used properly, but the potential for misuse is there. I suppose each stake could develop guidelines for the proper use of this feature.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I again tested the email feature using my wife's account. Not only could she send an email to our own ward, but to the members in any ward in the stake. I agree this is a great feature if used properly, but the potential for misuse is there. I suppose each stake could develop guidelines for the proper use of this feature.
The new email feature does not change the visibility of email addresses at all (which is a good thing, of course). Only those email addresses which other members of the stake have entered in the system, and set to "Show in Ward Directory" will be visible to other members (leaders have greater visibility, but I assume we're not talking about misuse on their part). Prior to the introduction of the email feature, someone who wanted multiple email addresses had to search around for them (they could export for their own ward, but would have to look at individuals in other wards), but they could certainly gather any visible email addresses they wanted. The email feature makes it more convenient, but since it doesn't change which email addresses are visible, I don't see how the potential for misuse is significantly different from what it has been since the introduction of the Directory.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”