LUWS Calender

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
vernondcole

LUWS Calender

Post by vernondcole »

Even better would be the ability to PRINT all of the calendars for a year. I find that publishing our annual calendar is about a three day event, starting with twelve separate "format for printing" operations.
vernondcole

Post by vernondcole »

The existing calendar export feature is almost worthless. It assumes that the receiving calendar is as dumb as Outlook, which has an almost worthless calendar. All other output formats are merely restatements of the Outlook .csv format. Repeating events should be sent in the ICAL format as repeating events, not as 52 separate single events. That way when they get to my Google calendar, I can remove or alter them in one step. If, on my personal calendar, I don't want to see Cub Scouts every Wednesday, I would be able to take them off. (Even better if you can send ICAL deleted event notices, so that deleted church events come off Google when new ones go on, but I suppose that is expecting too much.)
vernondcole

Post by vernondcole »

Please, give me one page, just one measly page of open formatted text. I want to be able to publish the high council speaking assignments...
January -- Third Ward -- Harry Snow
-- Second Ward -- Joe Doakes
Given that addition, all of the information on our printed calendar would be available on the web. As it is, our printed calendar has only two pages -- the high council assignments and the cover page -- which are not direct prints from the unit web site.
vernondcole

Post by vernondcole »

This happens all the time, not just Fast Sunday. You have to skip Bishopric Training meeting on Mother's Day. You skip Young Single Adults activity on Thanksgiving. Ward A traded activity night with Ward B in September. My branch is holding their Christmas party on Thursday, which frees up our regular Friday activity night. Exceptions to a repeating event would be SUCH a time saver.
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

I wouldn't mind being able to upload calendar data. I keep the Ward Calendar on my Palm Pilot and sync it to Outlook. This is super efficient for Bishopric Meetings and the random person who calls to use the building. But then I always have to go back and update the online calendar. It would be nice to just upload calendar files from outlook. Or some sort of easy sync system. Either that or make the Ward Site Calendar a little more efficient.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

kf7xm wrote:Even better would be the ability to PRINT all of the calendars for a year. I find that publishing our annual calendar is about a three day event, starting with twelve separate "format for printing" operations.

I believe we talked about this in another thread, but in summary the ability to print was highly requested however any calendar with farther then one or two months out would be watermarked "Preliminary" so that those using the calendar would reference the site.
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

kf7xm wrote:Please, give me one page, just one measly page of open formatted text. I want to be able to publish the high council speaking assignments...
January -- Third Ward -- Harry Snow
-- Second Ward -- Joe Doakes
Given that addition, all of the information on our printed calendar would be available on the web. As it is, our printed calendar has only two pages -- the high council assignments and the cover page -- which are not direct prints from the unit web site.

You want one page for the entire year? Just for high council and ward meetings? In another thread we talked about layering the calendar like Outlook and Google do as of now.
- David
Jeremy-p40

Post by Jeremy-p40 »

kf7xm wrote:This happens all the time, not just Fast Sunday. You have to skip Bishopric Training meeting on Mother's Day. You skip Young Single Adults activity on Thanksgiving. Ward A traded activity night with Ward B in September. My branch is holding their Christmas party on Thursday, which frees up our regular Friday activity night. Exceptions to a repeating event would be SUCH a time saver.
I think it would be nice to be able to remove one instance of a repeating event, for Fast Sundays, holidays, etc. The current workaround I use is to enter a new event that states "the --- event scheduled will be canceled due to ---". That way, any users looking at the calendar see both the scheduled event and the cancellation of it.
:D Happy to serve
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Jeremy wrote:The current workaround I use is to enter a new event that states "the --- event scheduled will be canceled due to ---". That way, any users looking at the calendar see both the scheduled event and the cancellation of it.
Which actually is a good idea for things that are canceled with less then a month's notice. If it's simply gone, people will assume someone failed to post it.

With that in mind, it would be nice to have a "cancel" feature that would help encourage that.
jtwitchell

Calendar Reminders

Post by jtwitchell »

Greetings,
One nice feature to see with the calendar is a reminder system of some type. A lot of times, I have entered in events early in the year, so it didn't make sense to send out an email reminder at the time. When it was closer to the event, it would be nice to have a system that automatically sends out a reminder email of some sort. These reminder could be done once a week or once a month. Thanks!

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”