Stake calendar editors can create events on top of building scheduler's reservations

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
luisbeal

Stake calendar editors can create events on top of building scheduler's reservations

Post by luisbeal »

I am the stake website administrator. Our stake building includes two wards that are managed by a building scheduler. Our building scheduler has made reservations for the wards that are not being recognized at the stake calendar level. Example, when a reservation is made by a building scheduler for a specific ward it should block the other ward from creating events at that time time/location. It should also block the stake from reserving then too, right? When our building scheduler makes a reservation it does not prevent me from adding events to the stake calendar in fact, it successfully creates the event and adds a "A cursory search detected potentially conflicting event(s). Make sure to check all saved event(s) to ensure no unanticipated conflicts."

This is creating problems because it seems that the building scheduler's efforts to reserve the building or parts of it are in vain. We have quite a few stake auxilliaries that have been added as editors to the stake calendar which will add to the confusion. What can we do to prevent the stake from adding events on top of ward reservations?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

luisbeal wrote:I am the stake website administrator. Our stake building includes two wards that are managed by a building scheduler. Our building scheduler has made reservations for the wards that are not being recognized at the stake calendar level. Example, when a reservation is made by a building scheduler for a specific ward it should block the other ward from creating events at that time time/location. It should also block the stake from reserving then too, right? When our building scheduler makes a reservation it does not prevent me from adding events to the stake calendar in fact, it successfully creates the event and adds a "A cursory search detected potentially conflicting event(s). Make sure to check all saved event(s) to ensure no unanticipated conflicts."

Your understanding is correct. If a reservation exists for a ward for a particular resource for a particular date/time, then no other unit should be able to schedule that resource for that date/time -- not the stake, and not any other ward.

One question: are you by any chance designated as a building scheduler for that building? Sometimes stake administrators choose to add themselves (or some other stake administrator adds them) to the location as a building scheduler so that they can see the Reservations calendar. If you are a building scheduler in the Calendar system (even if that's not your calling), then you will be able to save events on top of reservations with no conflict.

To check this, go into Settings > Locations & Rooms, select the stake building in question, and look at the list of building schedulers.

The other things to check are more obvious -- make sure that indeed at least one of the same rooms is scheduled, and that the times truly overlap on the same date. And make sure you don't have two locations with the same name.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:The other things to check are more obvious -- make sure that indeed at least one of the same rooms is scheduled, and that the times truly overlap on the same date. And make sure you don't have two locations with the same name.

As well as making sure he didn't input the reservation AFTER the event was already created.

Just as a note, Reservations should only be used to limit who may be able to create an event for that location and not used to "book" the location for an event.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
luisbeal

Post by luisbeal »

Yes, I was added as a building scheduler only because I will be helping to train our building schedulers. I removed myself and tried to schedule on top of a different reservation and the calendar did not let me. Thanks, huge relief!!
luisbeal

Post by luisbeal »

I made sure to create the reservation before the event.

When you say
"Reservations should only be used to limit who may be able to create an event for that location and not used to "book" the location for an event"
does that mean that if a reservation is created on one ward calendar for a specific organization, like the primary, no other organization from that same ward can create an event over that reservation? Is the primary required/supposed to go in and create the event to claim the reservation or do they just go under the assumption that since it says primary no one else from the ward will touch it?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

luisbeal wrote:When you say
"Reservations should only be used to limit who may be able to create an event for that location and not used to "book" the location for an event"
does that mean that if a reservation is created on one ward calendar for a specific organization, like the primary, no other organization from that same ward can create an event over that reservation?
No. Reservations are made at the unit (stake or ward) level only. Building schedulers can set aside a location or room for an entire ward or stake, but not for a particular calendar within that ward or stake. The purpose of a reservation is to exclude other units from scheduling resources.
luisbeal wrote:Is the primary required/supposed to go in and create the event to claim the reservation or do they just go under the assumption that since it says primary no one else from the ward will touch it?
The first part of your sentence is correct. An organization of the unit must schedule an event to schedule, or "book", those resources. The latter part of your sentence does not apply since a reservation is made for a unit and not for any unit organization calendar.

For more information see About reservations.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”