Looking for stories about how you're using Gospel Library

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
tomjoht

Looking for stories about how you're using Gospel Library

Post by tomjoht »

I'm looking for stories about how members are using the Gospel Library app. For example:
* Do your kids prefer to read scriptures from Gospel Library instead of regular scriptures?
* Do you read the scriptures in places you wouldn't otherwise read them?
* Do you prefer it to your traditional scriptures, and if so, why?
* Do you teach lessons using Gospel Library / Study Notebook as a reference instead of some other notes?
* Do you use Gospel Library to read Church magazines instead of ordering the paper versions? Are you checking out the HT message while in the car on the way to appointments?
* Do you listen to the audio narrations of scriptures or other articles while you drive? * Do you download everything that's available, or just a few types of content? Do you use anything in the Other category?
* Do you use any of the Gospel Library materials in family home evening?
* Does Gospel Library provide an access point to Church internet resources (e.g., conference talks) in a meetinghouse that doesn't have wifi?
* Does the technology get in the way of spiritual insights that would otherwise come? (is it too easy to click away)
* Do you have any "unorthodox" uses? Any anecdotes?

I would love to have your feedback for an article I'm writing. You can comment below or email me at johnsonth@ldschurch.org. Thanks,

Tom
SparkyMartin

Post by SparkyMartin »

I use the Gospel Library iPhone app to read the scriptures to my kids while I am putting them to bed (as part of my personal study). They love to see the screen and my soft reading voice puts them to bed fairly quickly. On nights where they have a bit more trouble going to sleep, it is all good because I am getting extra scripture reading in and they are hearing even more from the scriptures. This has made bedtime a much more pleasant experience. Sometimes I will combine this with soft music playing from the Mormon Channel as well.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Thanks SparkyMartin. This is perfect.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Nearly every morning, before I get up to start the day, I read a few chapters of scripture on my smart phone (Android). The phone is right there on the night stand, it's much easier to hold than my large scriptures, I can read without turning the lights on and disturbing my wife, AND I can quickly link to the cross references.

Having the library on my phone has really helped me start each day in a good way. Without the app, I probably wouldn't be doing this each day.

I like to use the hard copy scriptures when teaching or speaking, but when studying for teaching I like to use the library because of the hot links from the lesson manual to the references.

I love the app. In fact I should volunteer to help work on it.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Thanks Ggllbb. I appreciate you sharing this. By the way, ggllbb and sparkymartin, can you tell me your names and wards so I can reference the stories with an actual people? Feel free to email me here: johnsonth@ldschurch.org. Thanks,

Tom
Wayneherridge

Bedtime, lessons, personal study

Post by Wayneherridge »

I use gospel library to read with my 5 and 2 year old before they go off to bed.
I used the app for lessons until recently as he option to copy has gone. This makes creating keynote presentations much more time consuming an cumbersome.
I love using the app for personal study. It allows me to look quickly at cross references and make notes where needed.

Really want copy back!!!

Wayne Herridge, Portsmouth ward, Portsmouth, England
bsgillis

Post by bsgillis »

I use the app on my iPad to prepare and give my Sunday lessons. I add my notes and comments right into the lesson/talk and highlight the portions that I want to cover. With the sync feature I always have my iPhone as a back up should I forget the iPad or the battery die.

We also use the app for Duty to God each Sunday. I have a lot more YM that have scriptures they can read and follow along when doing Duty to God since they all have the app.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

bsgillis, thanks for sharing your experience. For the article we're writing, it would be great if we could include your name and location. Could you email me that info? johnsonth@ldschurch.org. Thanks,

Tom
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Thank you to everyone who responded and participated in this thread. We published an article compiling some of the experiences here: How Are You Using the Gospel Library App?

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”