Directory version 1.7 released!

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jdcr256 wrote:If I remember correctly from our discussions with the missionary team, there are three (maybe four) unit entries for a missionary - such as supporting unit (financial), home unit, etc. None of those units are updated unless someone calls to request a change, and a change to one would not necessarily dictate a change to another. So yes, you'll need to call again.

This functionality is new to the mission department as well. They were happy to see it implemented, but have never had a real need to keep those unit numbers up to date as families move around.

You are indeed correct. The sister I spoke with mentioned at least 4 entries - submitting, home, contact, and financial ward. I understand the need to manually update the financial side and where the "submitting" ward would come from, but the other two sound like another long-term opportunity for some automation between the membership and missionary databases. :)
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

RussellHltn wrote:Ouch. Can I ask that you add a "(List Incorrect?)" link like you did with the Missionaries? Otherwise, the clerks, LUS and the forum is going to get a large number of "The directory isn't correct, how do I fix this?" question.

I don't think I'd want to see this until/unless the assignments are synced. As a ward clerk, I do not want to be calling Salt Lake every time we assign someone to a different organization. It would make more sense to work on syncing the data.

nbflint

Post by nbflint »

I also like the new features. Nice Work! Something that would make the Missionary section even better would be to display the mission office (or other) mailing address. Alternatively, give the ward clerks access to add an address.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nbflint wrote:I don't think I'd want to see this until/unless the assignments are synced. As a ward clerk, I do not want to be calling Salt Lake every time we assign someone to a different organization. It would make more sense to work on syncing the data.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - what I wanted was some text explaining why it wasn't accurate. But unlike the missionary, it wouldn't say how it could be fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

nbflint wrote:I don't think I'd want to see this until/unless the assignments are synced.

I'm beginning to agree as well. I just realized the same problem will occur for the Aaronic Priesthood quorums (young men not ordained) and for the timing of Young Women entering Relief Society. It's a great feature, but if it doesn't reflect how we're really organized, it's not very useful.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mfmohlma wrote:I'm beginning to agree as well. I just realized the same problem will occur for the Aaronic Priesthood quorums (young men not ordained) and for the timing of Young Women entering Relief Society. It's a great feature, but if it doesn't reflect how we're really organized, it's not very useful.
Although there are clearly some imperfections, I would certainly not say that "it's not very useful"; it gives you a great start, and you can always adjust the distribution list in your mail client for those exceptions before you hit Send.

I'd certainly like to see the organization lists synchronized with CHQ, but that sounds like a very significant development undertaking, so I hope no one would think of removing this useful feature in the meantime, just because it's not yet perfect.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

RussellHltn wrote:But unlike the missionary, it wouldn't say how it could be fixed.

Yes, something explaining that the online lists do not reflect "class assignments" made by the ward/branch would be useful. Of course, regardless of the assignment an Elder meeting with the High Priests is still an Elder and a Prospective Elder is not yet an elder. This listing accurately reflects that.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nbflint wrote:Yes, someOf course, regardless of the assignment an Elder meeting with the High Priests is still an Elder and a Prospective Elder is not yet an elder. This listing accurately reflects that.

I think another area of confusion dividing line between youth and adults. Usually that's based on High School graduation, not the 18th birthday.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jdcr256 wrote: - Added a new Missionary section for wards/branches. This section displays:
  • The Ward Mission Leader
  • The missionary companionship assigned to serve in that ward (and a photo, contact information, and a map of the local mission boundaries)
  • A list of the members of that ward that have been called as missionaries (as well as photo, and map showing the boundries of their assigned mission)
This is great! I love the maps of where the missionaries called from the ward are serving. Did the programmers consider adding those called as "ward missionaries" serving in the ward along with the ward mission leader as well? It would seem appropriate to both recognize their service as well as those called full-time, and in addition provide quick contact info for ward members to know who to call....
Just a thought.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

nbflint wrote:Something that would make the Missionary section even better would be to display the mission office (or other) mailing address.
nbflint, I love this idea. I think it is important for ward members to know where they can write missionaries at!

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”