Need more recurrence choices for number of weeks

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Swift

Need more recurrence choices for number of weeks

Post by Swift »

Hi,

Love the new calendar! And thanks for fixing the email notifications! That is going to make my life a lot easier.

I have a need to add an recurring event for a scheduled building cleaning that will occur every 15 weeks on a Saturday morning. Why 15 weeks? Well, we have 3 wards in our building, and we rotate on the schedule each week, and then in our ward we share the load by auxiliaries and groups, and we have 5 of those in the rotation. So each of my auxiliaries and groups is responsible for the building cleaning every 15 weeks.

So, my problem is that the recurring weeks number is a drop down list with only 1 through 10 in it. I need 15. And who knows, perhaps someone else might want 26 to schedule a semi-annual meeting... Either way, could we have that number be a simple text box that lets us type in our number? Perhaps validate that it is between 1 and 100 or something so you don't get incorrect entries, or entries with characters in them... If that is not possible then please add more choices to the drop down list! Thanks!

I have been able to create my events using Chrome to change the drop down list selection choices, and making one of them 15 and saving my event. That worked, but the down side is that if anyone else with editing authority in the ward council gets in there and attempts to save the event, it will revert back to a weekly event because the drop down list cannot pre-select 15 when you load the event, and so it instead defaults to the first one in the list, 1. Please fix this for me.

I checked to see where to ask my question, and first saw a post suggesting this type of request should go on the Feedback link at the bottom of lds.org. However, when I went there the link said "Do you have Feedback about this page?". So, I looked on the help button from the calendar which took me to the wiki, and the help text there said to post a message here. My apologies if I've put this in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance!
Swift
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Swift wrote:So, my problem is that the recurring weeks number is a drop down list with only 1 through 10 in it. I need 15.
One way to accomplish what you want is to use a Daily repeating event, instead of a Weekly. The Daily option does give you an entry field where you can enter any number. So you can specify that it repeats every 105 days, which is 15 weeks. That will work exactly how you want it to.

I know that solution is not as nice as if the Weekly option were more flexible, but hopefully it helps you while you're hoping it will get fixed.
Swift wrote:And who knows, perhaps someone else might want 26 to schedule a semi-annual meeting...

Semi-annual events are Monthly events, repeating every 6 months (26 weeks is not exactly semi-annual...).
Swift wrote:I checked to see where to ask my question, and first saw a post suggesting this type of request should go on the Feedback link at the bottom of lds.org. However, when I went there the link said "Do you have Feedback about this page?". So, I looked on the help button from the calendar which took me to the wiki, and the help text there said to post a message here. My apologies if I've put this in the wrong place.

Don't get misled by the "about this page" text -- that feedback link will indeed work for any page anywhere on lds.org. You could have used that feedback mechanism, and indeed you probably should if you want to be sure that your request is directed to the right people (choose the Local Unit Websites option). But the Calendar development team is one of the most active teams here on the forum, so there's an excellent chance they'll see your post here as well.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Swift

Post by Swift »

aebrown wrote:One way to accomplish what you want is to use a Daily repeating event, instead of a Weekly. The Daily option does give you an entry field where you can enter any number. So you can specify that it repeats every 105 days, which is 15 weeks. That will work exactly how you want it to.

I know that solution is not as nice as if the Weekly option were more flexible, but hopefully it helps you while you're hoping it will get fixed.
Oh, great point! I just figured it would also be a drop down field when making it a daily event, so that would definitely work for me. Thank you!

Now I just have to hope that no one in my ward council sees the event details and gets confused by the fact that it is a daily event and tries to fix it... I think it'll be alright.

aebrown wrote:Semi-annual events are Monthly events, repeating every 6 months (26 weeks is not exactly semi-annual...).
Again, good point. You could also do this as a daily event too I imagine...

aebrown wrote:Don't get misled by the "about this page" text -- that feedback link will indeed work for any page anywhere on lds.org. You could have used that feedback mechanism, and indeed you probably should if you want to be sure that your request is directed to the right people (choose the Local Unit Websites option). But the Calendar development team is one of the most active teams here on the forum, so there's an excellent chance they'll see your post here as well.

Ok, I thought that might have been the case. I will submit feedback using that method as well. Though, you have already solved my problem for me aebrown.

Thank you so much!
Swift

Return to “Calendar”