Coverting older FHC WiFi to match 881W installation config

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
sphester

Coverting older FHC WiFi to match 881W installation config

Post by sphester »

My stake is almost at the end of the broadband role out here in the UK.

With only 3 units getting the newer 881W installations. The remainder have had older installation that were put in to give the FHC's at these building internet access so have a Cisco Pic 501 and BT Modem and then Cisco 1100 WiFi Access points.

I know the newer 881W installations are coming with WiFi enabled on an SSID called LDSaccess with a generic passsord that seems to be the same across all installations. However in my own unit I know the older Cisco 1100 WiFi is on an SSID called moroni and was actually not being broadcast so hidden. I ended up having to call the Global service desk to get info on how to change this. In the end I even had to do the config myself as the staff at the service centre said they could not get to my router remotely so I know its not on standard config now.

My questions are:-
1. What's the best way to find out what WiFi details should be at the other FHC installation in my stake.
2. Given the older installations are on different SSID's can these be changed? and if so who can do this? As i would want them all to be on standard church configuration.

Thanks

Simon
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sphester wrote: 1. What's the best way to find out what WiFi details should be at the other FHC installation in my stake.
The scripts to configure the hardware must be done by the GSC. They will not give that information out. You should not be attempting to configure the appliances yourself. Problems with remote management access should be resolved in order to address the script configuration issues. Remote access to the firewalls, all of them, is through VPN tunneling. This must be fixed to enable the remote access.
sphester wrote: 2. Given the older installations are on different SSID's can these be changed? and if so who can do this?
Yes they can. It is done remotely by the GSC by rescripting the appliances. Solve the remote access problem and the GSC will be able to rescript the firewalls and the access points.

Could you give us some more detail about why the GSC could not gain remote access?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sphester

Post by sphester »

Hi JD

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I can't remember the specifics it was back in October when I called them on the weekend of General Conference. The initial reason I called them is because i could not access the wifi I new it was all powered on but no WiFi access was being broadcast. They wwere able to tell me the SSID was moroni but did not know what the password was supposed to be.

The agent on the phone could not get into the device and said something about another department not being in as it was still to early or because it was over general conference weekend. In the end he gave me the local username and password to log directly in the 1100 router to get the info I needed however the WiFi password was no visible obviously so I just had to change it for it to work I was also then able to find out that the WiFi SSID was not being broadcast i.e. hidden.

So in short no idea why he could not get into the device I gave him the IP addresses etc.

As it works fine now and the leaders can use the WiFI never really had a need to call them back to. I did send an e-mail to the GSC but that didn't really get very far either. Obviously with the newer installs being on different WiFi and password it would make sense to get them all on the same LDSaccess and same password so stake leader can use it from building to building without the need to change settings.

Of course I can't just have the GSC change the stuff one night as the FHC PC's will break as they will be accessing the WiFi on the existing settings. Might just be best to leave them as is but just need to find out the settings so leaders can use and so we can put the MLS pc on the internet for send and receives. My local FM manager has said he will try to find them out but might be better talking direct to the GSC myself.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

sphester wrote:My stake is almost at the end of the broadband role out here in the UK.

With only 3 units getting the newer 881W installations. The remainder have had older installation that were put in to give the FHC's at these building internet access so have a Cisco Pic 501 and BT Modem and then Cisco 1100 WiFi Access points.

I know the newer 881W installations are coming with WiFi enabled on an SSID called LDSaccess with a generic passsord that seems to be the same across all installations. However in my own unit I know the older Cisco 1100 WiFi is on an SSID called moroni and was actually not being broadcast so hidden. I ended up having to call the Global service desk to get info on how to change this. In the end I even had to do the config myself as the staff at the service centre said they could not get to my router remotely so I know its not on standard config now.

My questions are:-
1. What's the best way to find out what WiFi details should be at the other FHC installation in my stake.
2. Given the older installations are on different SSID's can these be changed? and if so who can do this? As i would want them all to be on standard church configuration.

Thanks

Simon
1. As far as I can ascertain LDSaccess, with a common password, is now the norm for all units so equipped. Some older installations might have used slightly different scripts, but GCS should be able to apply LDSaccess to your existing equipment as this is what is required for FHC usage. I would think that is what the other units, in your Stake, would be also be on. Your STS, if you have one, should have these details available. He is the one who should be dealing with this. Unless you are the STS and these details haven't been passed on to you.

2. We had a problem with the password having been 'leaked' and made available to primarily the youth. We have exactly the same equipment as you. The PIX 501 is limited to 10 licences and this meant that legitimate users couldn't gain access. I contacted the GSC, during their normal working hours, although reluctant they did change the password. One of the WAP decided to be stubborn and hide itself from GSC view, but they persevered and got it done. If they have a problem, supply them with the Mac addresses of the relevant equipment. The more info you can get before hand, will make the job a lot easier.

Because of the lack of licences, on the Pix, I have added an additional router after the firewall to overcome this limitation, as a temporary measure. Until our existing equipment is updated. The details of what I did is in another post on the forum. Search under 881W, router etc.. Sorry can't remember the exact posting. Or PM me.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sphester wrote:To be honest I can't remember the specifics it was back in October when I called them on the weekend of General Conference. The initial reason I called them is because i could not access the wifi I new it was all powered on but no WiFi access was being broadcast. They wwere able to tell me the SSID was moroni but did not know what the password was supposed to be.

Back when the "moroni" profile was the standard installation, all client computers that connected to the wireless network had to install software called the "Odyssey client". Because you had to use the Odyssey client, there was no password in the sense we are used to with WPA or WEP security. Once upon a time, everyone in the GSC knew about this, but since Odyssey has not been the standard for several years, I'm not surprised that you would be talking to someone at the GSC that didn't know about how the moroni profile and Odyssey client work. You can search for Odyssey on this forum if you are really curious about it, but it was a pain to work with and LDSAccess is a much better solution.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:The details of what I did is in another post on the forum. Search under 881W, router etc.. Sorry can't remember the exact posting. Or PM me.

I'm guessing you're thinking of this post.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Yes! Spot on. Thanks. I'll have to get a memory upgrade, or something. ;-)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sphester wrote:Of course I can't just have the GSC change the stuff one night as the FHC PC's will break as they will be accessing the WiFi on the existing settings.

I think you're going to need to deal with this sooner or later. I'd contact the GSC and set up and time to change things over to the new standard.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Thanks for everyones input.

Looks like I will need to contact the GSC my only concern now is how I will manage to change the WiFi over on the PC's at each of the existing FHC's. I know certainly in one case the member that runs the centre knows very little about computers and there little chance of him being able to change the wifi settings on his machines and this could be the case with the other FHC staff.

Can the GSC change the PC settings also remotely provided I get them turned on for them?
Or alternatively is it possible for the me to book a time and date when the GSC can call the FHC and do the work whilst the staff are in?

I ask as my stake is very spread out and I have 4 units to do and all are close if not more than 1 hour away.

Also just to clarify I'm the Stake Tech but the hand over of the calling from the previous member was a quick call at my house to drop some papers off. They now never reply to my e-mails as they have moved out of the stake. So it was sink or swim for me right now I'm treading water but have no knowledge of the existing setup's at the wards that had broadband installed as part of being a FHC. Bit of a nightmare and I'm trying to find stuff out with out making the expensive trips to the unit buildings that to be honest I can't afford in terms of time and money yet I some how feel this will be the only option.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sphester wrote:Looks like I will need to contact the GSC my only concern now is how I will manage to change the WiFi over on the PC's at each of the existing FHC's.
FYI, as the Stake Tech, the FHC computers falls under your dominion. As I understand it, other assistant techs can be called, but the technical responsibility falls on you. You can read the FHC computer policy here
sphester wrote:Can the GSC change the PC settings also remotely provided I get them turned on for them?
I can't see how anyone can remotely change settings that cuts off their access to the machine.

I would expect that each center is under a different firewall and as such can be changed one at a time and not try to do them all at once.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”