Calendar for two wards?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rpyne

Calendar for two wards?

Post by rpyne »

Is it possible to set up a stake calendar that is only visible (and editable) by two wards? We have so few youth that we combine YM/YW with another ward and would like to have a common calendar.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

short answer, YES it can be done. The Stake admin would need to setup the calendar and then assign editors to that calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Only if you set it as a private calendar and manually enter every viewer and editor by hand. Since there's no way to select viewers as a group, you'd have to add every viewer by name. Possible, yes, but painful to set up and maintain.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

I'm not sure you need to restrict the viewers? I think most would see the purpose of that calendar and unsubscribe unless they where youth or leaders in those two wards.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

It cannot be done as you have described, but if you are willing to change your requirements somewhat, I think you can have a workable solution.

All calendars are public or private. If you make this stake calendar public, then all the wards can see it. You can name it such that other wards won't be tempted to subscribe to it (e.g., "RV/10th YM/YW Activities"), and assign editors among the youth leaders from both wards as appropriate. You'd also probably want to add at least one of the ward administrators from each ward as an editor. This seems like the best solution, even though it doesn't meet your requirement to have it visible only to the two wards.

The other option is to make that stake calendar private. That will enable you to add as viewers only the members of the two wards. But that seems like a hassle initially (adding as viewers at least all the youth, their parents, and their leaders) and for ongoing maintenance as people move in and out of those two wards or change callings, or move into or out of the youth classes because of age. Specifying the editors would be the same as described above.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

KenRichins wrote:I'm not sure you need to restrict the viewers? I think most would see the purpose of that calendar and unsubscribe unless they where youth or leaders in those two wards.

I'd think the biggest concern is that you'd have youth from other wards showing up for activities. But if you drop the need to be invisible to the rest of the stake, it's not that hard to do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

And since we're talking about a Stake calendar, all viewers and editors will need to be added by name since stake calendars can't see ward callings (at this time).

Return to “Calendar”