Children/Infant Counts

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
harddrive

Children/Infant Counts

Post by harddrive »

I was helping out a ward clerk of mine and he brought up a question about children and infants. He was getting a clarification on counts, attendance and what every line meant.

So I took time to investigate to help him understand how to report those numbers. When I got into it, something really struck me.

When I got to my home unit on the website and look at the children. The youngest on the list of children is 4 years old and the oldest is 11. When I look at the infants the youngest is about 3 months old and the oldest is 3 years old.

Now, on the monthly/quarterly statistics, line 20 says children (3-11 yrs). I checked the quarterly report and it says children as age of 3 years old as of 01 Jan. Does that mean that if they turn 3 in the year that they aren't included on line 20 for that year? But included on the Infants for that year?

I would think that at anytime during the year that an infant turns 3 they should be included on line 20, just like the priesthood/young women. Once they turn 12 in the year they are removed from primary to young men/women's roles. I would see the same thing happening with the infants who turn 3 in the year. They should go from infants to children and reflect that one the report.

So the question becomes why are 3 year olds showing up as Infants, when they should be children? Or is this like Sunday school where they don't move up in class until the beginning of the year?

Thanks for helping me to clarify this.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

harddrive wrote: Now, on the monthly/quarterly statistics, line 20 says children (3-11 yrs). I checked the quarterly report and it says children as age of 3 years old as of 01 Jan. Does that mean that if they turn 3 in the year that they aren't included on line 20 for that year? But included on the Infants for that year?
The "help" pop-up on the quarterly report, line 20, says this:[INDENT]
The number of children ages 3 through 11:
  • Age 3 as of 1 January of the reporting year
  • And younger than age 12 as of the last day of the reporting quarter
[/INDENT]Does that help at all?
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

kisaac wrote:Does that help at all?
A bit, but if children turn 3 in the year, then I think they should be counted as children not infants. If you are a clerk, check out LDS.ORG and see who is being reported as children and who are infants and then match that up with the quarterly reports that says children age 3 as of January 1, 2011. This should be any child born in 2008, should be a child, not an infant.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

harddrive wrote:So the question becomes why are 3 year olds showing up as Infants, when they should be children? Or is this like Sunday school where they don't move up in class until the beginning of the year?
Don't know for certain, but I would assume all groups are handled the same as Sunday School. If not, at some point you would have overlap, which would cause duplicate reporting. It makes sense to me that a system was decided upon and used for all age groupings.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

harddrive wrote:So the question becomes why are 3 year olds showing up as Infants, when they should be children? Or is this like Sunday school where they don't move up in class until the beginning of the year?

Just like Sunday School. And Primary, as well. They remain in the nursery until January 1st of the new year, then move as a group to their new Primary class.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

harddrive wrote:A bit, but if children turn 3 in the year, then I think they should be counted as children not infants. If you are a clerk, check out LDS.ORG and see who is being reported as children and who are infants and then match that up with the quarterly reports that says children age 3 as of January 1, 2011. This should be any child born in 2008, should be a child, not an infant.

Children start the Sunbeam class at the start of the year after they turn 3. Before that they remain in nursery. The quarterly report numbers just reflect this.

On the other hand, 12 year olds move from Primary into YM/YW on their birthday. Again the quarterly report mirrors this practice.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”