Activation Missionary

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
caj36

Activation Missionary

Post by caj36 »

My Stake President would like to call a couple as "activation missionaries." He would like them to focus on activating less-active members stake-wide. He has tasked me with the job of figuring out the proper vehicle to accomplish this. I have ruled out calling them as CSMs (Church-Service Missionaries), as this activity is specifically written out in Handbook 1 4.12.10.

Is there some other vehicle to accomplish this goal? I don't see an appropriate calling in the calling chart. Thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I know at one time there was a "Stake Missionary", but I don't see that in the Chart of Callings.

But I do see "Ward Missionary".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Sounds like a custom calling in the stake to me.

What do you mean by "vehicle to accomplish this"? How to enter the calling in MLS or something else?
caj36

Post by caj36 »

He would like them to be missionaries of some sort. He mentioned the addiction recovery workers are missionaries but I'm pretty sure that is a special thing through Family Services.

Based on what Handbook 2 says about activation, I'm not even sure a stake level calling is appropriate.

Any other ideas?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

crislapi wrote:Sounds like a custom calling in the stake to me.

What do you mean by "vehicle to accomplish this"? How to enter the calling in MLS or something else?
I also don't understand your question...
Your Stake MLS will certainly allow stake clerks to make a custom calling so that you may accomplish any calling your stake president wishes on the computer. If you are asking what might be the best "vehicle" to accomplish activation, that is much different question.
caj36

Post by caj36 »

By vehicle I mean what nature of calling meets the goal of the stake president. I understand that a custom calling can be created in Mls. He would like them to be missionaries of some sort. Is there any problem with simply creating a "stake activation missionary" calling?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The stake president can create any calling he feels necessary. Entering it as he calls it in MLS as a custom position affects nothing I know about. The drive to have standard positions is done so that members with callings that have permissions tied to their calling for on-line system access will get the necessary access to fulfill their callings. Does the stake president want them to have access to any systems on-line?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

caj36 wrote:My Stake President would like to call a couple as "activation missionaries." He would like them to focus on activating less-active members stake-wide. He has tasked me with the job of figuring out the proper vehicle to accomplish this. I have ruled out calling them as CSMs (Church-Service Missionaries), as this activity is specifically written out in Handbook 1 4.12.10.

Is there some other vehicle to accomplish this goal? I don't see an appropriate calling in the calling chart. Thoughts?
The correct calling would be "Ward Missionary," and should be extended by the couple's bishop. The Stake President can't call them as stake missionaries, because there is no stake mission. See the letters from the First Presidency on this topic, here and here. See also Handbook 2, 5.1 and 5.3, which pretty clearly sets out that the responsibility for missionary, retention, and reactivation efforts lies with the bishop, who reports and counsels regularly with the stake president. Section 4.12.10 just reiterates that local ward missionaries aren't called through the Church Service Missionary process. The Addiction Recovery missionaries are CSMs, and are called through that process.

Return to “General Discussions”