How to correct an out-of-unit child's misspelled name on member's record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
calvinhunt

How to correct an out-of-unit child's misspelled name on member's record

Post by calvinhunt »

As suggested in the on-line training for ward clerks I made Individual Ordinance Summaries available to all attending tithing settlement. One member noticed the misspelling of his daughter's name as it appears on his record. The daughter is married, inactive, and living in another state. I attempted to make the correction to his record but was not able to. I assume that the record must be corrected by the clerk in the unit where the membership is located. The father is not sure that his daughter's record has even followed her to her present location. Is there a way available for me to correct the spelling?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd do a Special Request on the father's record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

You may have success calling the church's Global Service Center and asking them the question, and ask to be transferred to the MLS support desk. They are open business hours in the US Mountain Time Zone, and later on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
calvinhunt

Post by calvinhunt »

Thanks so much. I'll try the Special Request first. If that doesn't do it I'll contact Global Services Center. Now I have instructions to do both. Thanks again.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:You may have success calling the church's Global Service Center and asking them the question, and ask to be transferred to the MLS support desk.
I doubt if GSC can do anything. I'd call Local Unit Support directly and skip the transfer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I doubt if GSC can do anything. I'd call Local Unit Support directly and skip the transfer.
You're not quite up to date on your terminology. The term "Global Service Center" applies to all the support offerings. It's entirely correct to refer to Local Unit Support as "Global Service Center"; in fact, the term "Local Unit Support" is not really used by the Church at all anymore, in any context that I know of at this point. When you call the numbers listed in the article you linked to, you realize you have called Member and Leader Services, which is a subsection of the Global Service Center. The Church continues to try to standardize the terms for all these support units, but they're not quite there yet.

But you're right that calling Member/Leader Unit (MLU) Support will get you to the right people more quickly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Membership Help”