MLS Send/Receive Auto PDF with Date_batch for name to only print what's needed

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
garywhancock

MLS Send/Receive Auto PDF with Date_batch for name to only print what's needed

Post by garywhancock »

It seems to me that having the ability to automatically save each send/receive into pdf files, sort of like the finance statements or messages, would solve most of the problems of all the extra printouts that we get and then immediately shred.

I have tried using programs like cutepdf, but they don't automatically datestamp or uniquely name the files, and so I have to change the save/as 5-10 times per send/receive.

It would be great if it just happened in the background whenever send/receive was pushed and then have a page that only authorized users could see to quickly look through and print what was needed. This would also give us a great history of all these pages, that sometimes get lost and then we cant see them or print them again.
nathangrigg

Try pdfcreator

Post by nathangrigg »

I agree that things could be done much more efficiently if there was some kind of electronic log.

In the meantime, try pdfcreator: www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator
It has a "silent" option which allows files "printed" to it to be given automatic names, like the current date and time. You still have to push print 8 times, but you don't have to specify file names.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

All those automatic print requests do not have to be hard copy printed or even printed to PDF. There is an option to print preview to see if it is even worth printing. If there is no need to print just cancel the print job. If in doubt, print to PDF and save to a removable media if it contains confidential data.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

I've wondered about the consequences of print cancellations. My few intentional and mistaken choices to cancel seemed to result in cancelling all subsequent pages (or so it seemed). When I've cancelled there have been no further requests to print reports.

Has my timing been just right, or have others been able to cancel only those membership update reports they don't want to print, but still be able to print subsequent reports from the same update session?

[ I'm still hoping that the (very often) multiple update reports per session will be consolidated to one, to save time, paper, and sometimes confusion. ]

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”