Help Converting CSV file to KML

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mlh78

Help Converting CSV file to KML

Post by mlh78 »

I need to create a large map of my stake with pins for each household. I see that I can download a csv file with coordinates for most members. I am not a super savvy computer guy, but I gather that if I can convert the file to a KML file I can import the members into mapping software. Is there a simple way to do this?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

maps.lds.org already does this. Do you need the pins or do you hope to do more with it than just have the locations? If you just need the locations, why not print this from there? It'll save you a lot of time. You probably need to be a stake clerk or presidency member to have the option, though.

If the later, there have been extensive discussions on the forum on how to do this. Unless you have professional software, my experience is that it's going to be at least time consuming to do this with free software. You can use gis encoders to convert address information to kml data (if you select the right options). I have used http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ with reasonable success before maps.lds.org came out to prepare for a boundary change. It was time consuming, and there is definitely a learning curve.

There are privacy issues to be aware of, and some of the options that used to be available were shut down due to privacy concerns. However, some searches in the forum will definitely point you to extensive discussions on this topic.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

crislapi wrote:Do you need the pins or do you hope to do more with it than just have the locations?
I need to be able to overlay the boundaries of several school districts and cities and potential geocode locations for MLS.
crislapi wrote:If the later, there have been extensive discussions on the forum on how to do this. Unless you have professional software, my experience is that it's going to be at least time consuming to do this with free software. You can use gis encoders to convert address information to kml data (if you select the right options). I have used http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ with reasonable success before maps.lds.org came out to prepare for a boundary change. It was time consuming, and there is definitely a learning curve.
I was hoping that since the church now allows you to download a csv file with each stake member's coordinates, there would be an easy way to to convert that data into a file useable in mapping software. I will try your ideas. Thanks.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

What I've done in the past used this:

1. Download the boundary KML files available in CDOL and import them into Google Earth
2. Create KML files from member addresses and import them into Google Earth (I used http://batchgeo.com/)
3. Find School District maps and import them as layers in Google Earth
4. Use the tools in Google Earth to create new boundary proposals to be presented to the Stake Presidency.

The great thing about doing this in Google Earth is that the layering and transparency technology allows you to view or not view different components... if you want to see the High School boundaries, you can adjust the transparency so that it shows up... when you are finished, adjust the transparency (or turn off the layer). This has been highly successful for us.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

That is exactly what I wanted to do, but I have been struggling with creating the KML file for the member locations. I will try your link.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

JohnShaw wrote:What I've done in the past used this:

2. Create KML files from member addresses and import them into Google Earth (I used http://batchgeo.com/)
Just to be clear, do you use the member addresses to create the KML file, or do you use the coordinates downloaded from the lds.org maps tool?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JohnShaw wrote: 2. Create KML files from member addresses and import them into Google Earth (I used http://batchgeo.com/)
I've done this also. But I used an MLS export to do this. To do that export requires MLS administrator rights. I do not see how this can be done using the on-line directory.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:I've done this also. But I used an MLS export to do this. To do that export requires MLS administrator rights. I do not see how this can be done using the on-line directory.
You don't use the directory -- you use LDS Maps (lds.org/maps), look at "My Ward & Stake", then click the Download link (the green down-arrow) at the top right of the list of households.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:You don't use the directory -- you use LDS Maps (lds.org/maps), look at "My Ward & Stake", then click the Download link (the green down-arrow) at the top right of the list of households.
Good to know. I didn't see that because I was looking for a menu item.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sumrhome1

Mapping Stake/Ward boundaries...

Post by sumrhome1 »

you said: Download the boundary KML files available in CDOL and import them into Google Earth

Where do I find the boundary KLM boundaries.

you also said to download school boundaries and import them to google maps. All I've found are pdf files for school boundaries, is there a way to import pdf into google?

Thank you

Wayne Lewis

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”