Adoption Update Reverted

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

Adoption Update Reverted

Post by ckmcdonald »

A married couple in our ward have two sons who were the wife's from a prior marriage (different biological father). While in our ward the present father legally adopted the two boys.

We updated their membership records to reflect this, which included a surname change for the boys, their adoptive father listed as their father (instead of the biological father) and listing the two boys as the children of the adoptive father on his membership. This was done about a year ago.

All was fine for several months then something reverted all the membership records back the way there were before the changes for the adoption. We made the changes again and they stuck for several months. Last week one of the memberships of the two boys reverted back again, for the second time.

Anyone seen this behavior before?
Are we doing something wrong?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Is the biological father a member?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd call Local Unit Support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ecotim

Post by ecotim »

I have to ask since you did not indicate in your narrative. Did you get the pop-up when changing names? I can not remember since it was a while back when we had an adoption. Maybe look in your messages you might have received a message asking you to provide the adoption information. I remember I had to reply with that data, then in the pop-up confirm that I saw a copy of the adoption papers. If you did not do that then CHQ will keep resetting their names.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

jdlessley wrote:Is the biological father a member?
No. You might be thinking what I was also thinking before I found out he wasn't a member. But, among other things, the surname of the boys reverted back and with their memberships in our ward I can't see how another ward could do that.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

RussellHltn wrote:I'd call Local Unit Support.
We made the changes again to the one boy whose info reverted back. We'll see if it will stick this time. If not, call LUS we'll do.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

ecotim wrote:I have to ask since you did not indicate in your narrative. Did you get the pop-up when changing names? I can not remember since it was a while back when we had an adoption. Maybe look in your messages you might have received a message asking you to provide the adoption information. I remember I had to reply with that data, then in the pop-up confirm that I saw a copy of the adoption papers. If you did not do that then CHQ will keep resetting their names.

I can't speak to the actual entry details as the Membership Clerk did that. I asked him about the adoption papers and he said they were provided by the parents and he indicated on the form that he had seen them. Other than that I don't have more details on the entry form.

Return to “Membership Help”