Suddenly all text in each paragraph overlayed on same line

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
adosgatharp

Suddenly all text in each paragraph overlayed on same line

Post by adosgatharp »

I have Gospel Library installed on my iPod touch. I went to access my scriptures and discovered that the text display of every document in the library is suddenly unreadable because all of the lines in each paragraph are overlayed on a single line. That is, if a paragraph has five lines, all of them overlay in the display on a single line with four blank lines following. The same with all paragraphs in a chapter or article.

I have tried setting the spacing, changing the font, etc but nothing I have tried resolves the issue.

I am trying to find a solution that does not involve uninstalling and then redownloading the application and all the scriptures, magazines, manuals, etc. that are currently in the library.

Menuing works fine. Videos display with no issues. The problem only shows in anything which has document text.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to read the Formatting in version 2.4.0 thread.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lancemjones

Post by lancemjones »

I have had the same problem on my ipod. The problem began after I installed an update a few days ago. I even deleted the app and re-loaded but I still have the problem. Were you able to find a solution yet?
Thanks.
adosgatharp

Post by adosgatharp »

I read the Formatting in version 2.4.0 thread. I had previously searched as best I could before posting here, but apparently did not use the keys words which would have led me to that post.
The referenced post tells me that other people have had the problem and that no one has proposed a solution. Here, Lance tells me that uninstalling and reinstalling the application is probably no fix.
I am disheartened by what appears to be a complete lack of support from the application team.
morrisrich

the text is overlayed

Post by morrisrich »

the text is overlayed making it unusable. if i rotate my phone, it is then readable. also, the hymns are not even displaying. the children's hymns work fine but not the regular church hymns. i have deleted the app and downloaded a couple of times. nothing seems to fix this problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For information on support, there's the Gospel Library support - iPhone
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
adosgatharp

Rotating works

Post by adosgatharp »

Thanks to mndrich for the tip! I previously had the rotation option locked. I unlocked it. Now when the text scrambles I can rotate the iPod and get readable text until I change books or chapters.
iOS 5 will only run on 4th generation devices, I'm told.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

adosgatharp wrote:I am disheartened by what appears to be a complete lack of support from the application team.

Well, the support team is all volunteers, and I am sure they know of the problem (it has been reported through the normal feedback channels) and are working as quickly as they can to find a fix. I am grateful that someone discovered changing the orientation is a successful temporary workaround.

I have a 2nd generation iPod Touch, and use a number of apps that broke after they were updated when iOS 5 arrived on the scene. I suspect the apps were changed a little to work in iOS 5 (and the iPad) and something is not compatible with older versions of the iOS. It happens a lot.

In any event, my only wish is that I knew how to program or could otherwise help the volunteers who have developed a pretty good program. And if you think the grass is greener on the other side, take a gander over at the Android part of the Forum and be glad we are not sharing their pain. [grin]
adosgatharp

Apology

Post by adosgatharp »

I was unaware of the volunteer aspect, but should have thought of that. My thanks to those working on the issue.
drasmusson

Reorienting

Post by drasmusson »

Thanks for the re-orienting tip. When the overlay occurs, I orient my ipad touch landscape and the passage is legible, and I can also then re-orient it portrait and it stays legible. THanks!

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”