Correcting member's record: error in deceased parent's name

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lantredulion

Correcting member's record: error in deceased parent's name

Post by lantredulion »

At tithing settlement when a member viewed her IOS she stated that her father's given name was incorrect. The last time she viewed her information (presumably last year's tithing settlement) it was correct. Her father has been deceased since the 1980s. Can I correct the erroneous given name of her father via MLS? Or since her father is deceased does it need to be changed elsewhere? I am concerned that someone has changed the father's name via family history research?

Thank you.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

A membership record can not be changed through family history programs. The parent's name can be changed in MLS, but I am not certain that is the proper method to get the parent's name on the parent's membership record changed. But for the situation of correcting the father's name on a living member's record this is a correct procedure. I have done that to change the name of my mother on my record.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lantredulion wrote:At tithing settlement when a member viewed her IOS she stated that her father's given name was incorrect. The last time she viewed her information (presumably last year's tithing settlement) it was correct. Her father has been deceased since the 1980s. Can I correct the erroneous given name of her father via MLS? Or since her father is deceased does it need to be changed elsewhere? I am concerned that someone has changed the father's name via family history research?

Thank you.

See the Correcting LDS Church Membership Records topic in the new.familysearch.org help pages. It has information on how to correct the membership records of deceased individuals.
greggo

Post by greggo »

lantredulion wrote:... she stated that her father's given name was incorrect...

It might be good to confirm that the member is not mistaken about the spelling. My mother-in-law didn't even know her own legal name until she saw her birth certificate just before applying for a marriage license.
lantredulion

Post by lantredulion »

greggo wrote:It might be good to confirm that the member is not mistaken about the spelling. My mother-in-law didn't even know her own legal name until she saw her birth certificate just before applying for a marriage license.

It isn't that the spelling is wrong, but rather the name itself has been changed to a completely different one.

Return to “Membership Help”