Ward Mission Fund -> FO ?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

Ward Mission Fund -> FO ?

Post by ckmcdonald »

Can a ward missionary fund donation be recategorized as a fast offering donation?

Due to a misunderstanding, partly the fault of the ward, we had a member overpay on their now-returned full time missionary. Given the family is very tight on funds and the HOH recently unemployed, it would be ideal to refund the $500+,... but I know that's not allowed. Next best would be to recategorize the ward missionary donation as tithing or fast offering.

Assuming this is possible, is this the best way to address the problem?

PS: I realize the funds can easily be redirected to a different missionary but this would be a third choice as it doesn't help relieve the financial pressure for the family.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Others will probably disagree with me but, since you wouldn't be returning money to the donor and the donation would still be tax-deductible as a Fast Offering or Tithing, I can't see why changing the category would be bad. If you made the change you're suggesting then the tax statement would be identical to a statement printed without such a change. (The donor statement would show the "adjustment" but the tax statement would only show how much money was donated to a tax-deductible category on any given day.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ckmcdonald wrote:Next best would be to recategorize the ward missionary donation as tithing or fast offering.

As far as I know, that is possible and acceptable. But I'm not one of the wizards on financial policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Call LUS. The donation batch with the error would need to be changed (recategorized). But since MLS 3.4.1 donation batches for CUBS countries cannot be resent. LUS will have to make the change for you.
Resending a Donation Batch in MLS. Units that are on Church Unit Banking Services (CUBS) will no longer be able to resend a donation batch. At this point, countries using CUBS are the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Guatemala. All other countries may still resend donation batches. For those on CUBS, if there is a problem with a donation batch, they should contact the administrative office
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

My gut says no, but if it was truly due to an error, that should be corrected.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I called LUS today and was told it's perfectly alright to change ward missionary fund donations to either tithing or fast offerings - as long as the change is discussed/resolved to satisfaction by both the Bishop and the donor.

I was also told that the change is as simple as editing the batch with the erroneous donation and change the category - no need to call LUS. I haven't done this yet so can't report if it's really that easy - but have no reason at this point to doubt it.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

ckmcdonald wrote: I haven't done this yet so can't report if it's really that easy - but have no reason at this point to doubt it.
It's really that easy. No more complicated that changing the category on a check, which maybe you have done before. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”