Check Status Column Defined

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ChuckP

Check Status Column Defined

Post by ChuckP »

We received our monthly reconciliation report today. I looked in the action items list and found a larger number of checks than usual that appeared to not have been deposited yet by the members. To check the latest status of these checks, I went to View/Update Expenses and then looked at the "status" column. In this column there are four different types of status: cleared, recorded, sent, and issued. I checked the wiki and searched past posts but could not find a definition of the differences between these statuses. Can anyone provide a description or definition of when a check is put into each of these categories and when they change their status? I seem to remember a past post that touched on this but could not find it - sorry if I am asking to repeat information.

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe "Issued" is what it's set to when MLS prints the check. "Cleared" is when the funds have been transferred to the payee.

I'm not sure of the other status, I'm guessing it may be internal to the steps the church takes.

So I think what you are interested in is all the checks where printed some time ago but have not cleared.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The release notes for version 3.4.1 had those described. They can be found in the wiki article Timeline of MLS. This is what is there:
Status | Description | Actions
Not Printed | Initial status of disbursement after user inputs into MLS | Can change amount and void/Category change allowed
Not Sent | Disbursement authorized and printed in MLS but not sent to HQ | Can’t change amount/Can be voided/Category change allowed
Sent | Disbursement recorded in MLS and sent to HQ | Can’t change amount/Can be voided/Category change allowed
Issued | Disbursement recorded in MLS and received by HQ | Can’t change amount/Can be voided/Category change allowed
Cleared | Disbursement cleared bank and matched at HQ | Can’t change amount or void/Category change allowed
Void | Disbursement voided | No changes allowed
Escheated | Sent to HQ for escheatment purposes | Can’t change amount or void/Category change allowed
Recorded | Non-check disbursement recorded | Can’t change amount or void/Category change allowed
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:The release notes for version 3.4.1 had those described. They can be found in the wiki article Timeline of MLS. This is what is there:
And I also added those status to the Expenses wiki article in a new section called Check status, where the statuses are more readable.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ChuckP

Post by ChuckP »

Thank you for the information and directing me where I can find it. Sorry I did such a poor job of searching as it seems the information is readily available.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”