Should full-time missionaries be head of household?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
nathangg

Should full-time missionaries be head of household?

Post by nathangg »

This questions just came up and I wasn't sure of a "right" answer. I saw this thread on missionaries being part of their parents' household. But I could also see some cases where you'd just leave them separate.

Is there an MLS preference on whether a full-time missionary should be part of their parents household or their own household?

Thanks~!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nathangg wrote:Is there an MLS preference on whether a full-time missionary should be part of their parents household or their own household?

There's no MLS preference; as with all decisions regarding households, the bishop makes the decision, probably counseling with MP leaders.

Personally, I can't see any good reason to have full-time missionaries in a separate household. If you do, you would then have to mark them as being home taught each month. If you put them in their parents' household, you don't have to worry about that step.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

A similar discussion regarding YSA's (18+) can be read here. It discussed some of the pros and cons of making someone their own head of household.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:A similar discussion regarding YSA's (18+) can be read here. It discussed some of the pros and cons of making someone their own head of household.
But what does that have to do with full-time missionaries? That's the topic of this thread. The full-time missionary isn't attending in the ward, so it's purely a reporting issue.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

aebrown wrote:But what does that have to do with full-time missionaries? That's the topic of this thread.
crislapi wrote:It discussed some of the pros and cons of making someone their own head of household.
Seems that answers your question. The same issues result, whether the person is actually there or not.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Back when I was called as a clerk the first time 20+ years ago, the policy was that a child's record should be moved out of their parents household when they physically moved out for any reason other than a mission, got married, had a child or attended a different ward, and should remain as their own household from that time on.

Return to “Membership Help”