Tithing Statement for someone in different ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
MCardoza

Tithing Statement for someone in different ward

Post by MCardoza »

A member of another ward gives tithing to our Bishop to apply to the Missionary fund of one of the Elders in our ward. One of our Bishopric Councillors has requested a Tithing Summary Statement for this user, however they don't show up in the list of people in the Individual or Household Statement screens.

When I look in Finance: Add/Update Donors, he is listed 3 different times as Out-Of-Unit.

My guess is that I need to somehow tie together this member's record to his donations/Donor listing in our ward, but I don't know if I have the ability to do that since he attends a different ward (different jurisdiction basically?).

Any thoughts on how I can reconcile/figure this out would be great!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MCardoza wrote:A member of another ward gives tithing to our Bishop to apply to the Missionary fund of one of the Elders in our ward. One of our Bishopric Councillors has requested a Tithing Summary Statement for this user, however they don't show up in the list of people in the Individual or Household Statement screens.

You can't print a Tithing Settlement Statement (I assume that's what you meant by "Tithing Summary Statement") because he is not a member of your ward. Your ward has responsibility to declare the tithing status for only members of your ward. He would attend tithing settlement in his ward, not yours.

However, you can print a regular donor statement. Right now you can print a "Year-to-date Donation Summary" and after the year has been closed, you will be able to print an "Official Tax Statement."
MCardoza wrote:When I look in Finance: Add/Update Donors, he is listed 3 different times as Out-Of-Unit.

That's a potential problem; you should make sure that all his donations are connected to a single donor record, and you should hide the other donor records to avoid accidentally crediting any future donations to the unused donor records. You should make these corrections before you print a donor statement to give to him.
MCardoza wrote:My guess is that I need to somehow tie together this member's record to his donations/Donor listing in our ward, but I don't know if I have the ability to do that since he attends a different ward (different jurisdiction basically?).

No, you only connect donor records to a membership record for members who live in your ward. If you do what I described above, you should be able to provide this donor all the documentation he needs.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Make sure you're looking in the Donor Statements section and not in the "Tithing Settlement" section of MLS. I suspect that, at this time of year, we gravitate towards the "Tithing Settlement" section but it won't show information about out-of-unit members.

EDIT: Oops. The previous, more detailed reply came in while I was typing mine.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

MCardoza wrote:A member of another ward gives tithing to our Bishop to apply to the Missionary fund of one of the Elders in our ward.
I assuming this is a typographical error. Tithing should be applied to tithing; only donations to the ward missionary fund should be put in the ward missionary fund. Does he give his entire donation (tithing, FO, ward missionary, etc) to your ward or just the ward missionary? Regardless, his tithing settlement is conducted with the bishop of the ward that has his records. You should still print a donor statement for him following aebrown's instructions.
MCardoza wrote:When I look in Finance: Add/Update Donors, he is listed 3 different times as Out-Of-Unit.
This just means your clerks keep creating donor records for the same person. Once you have verified that all 3 donors are really the same person, merge them to a single donor record (merge button is on the bottom of the add/update donors screen), which will automatically hide the other two. You will have to do this 2X (can only merge one record at a time). Inform your financial clerks of what donor record name to use for him.
MCardoza

Post by MCardoza »

Excellent!

Yes, I used the wrong words in a few instances (Tithing Summary Statement meaning Tithing Settlement Statement, tithing opposed to donations to Ward Missionary fund, etc). Sorry, I'm still kind of a newbie :)

Thanks for the assistance on using a Year to Date Donation Summary, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”