18+ yrs-old - HOH?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

18+ yrs-old - HOH?

Post by ckmcdonald »

If an 18+ yr-old single doesn't leave home - we typically leave them grouped under their parent as HOH. If an 18+ yr-old single leaves home for whatever reason and then returns home, we usually leave them as HOH at the same address as their parents.

This leaves us with some 18+ yr-old's as HOH and some grouped under their parent as HOH. Inconsistent.

Is there a "correct" way to handle HOH designation for this age group?
What are the pros/cons of having them be HOH or regrouping them under their parent?
Does it matter?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The only con I can think of is that they won't be grouped with their parents in MLS, which comes in to play is a few select areas. For example, with donor statements, you can print households or individuals. However, that does not create any more burden really. There is no pro or con I can think of that would motivate me to go though the records and make it consistent. So I guess I'm saying I don't think it matters.

From a legal standpoint, at 18 they are their own HOH. For most, I assume they become HOH's when they leave home the first time (need their own address). However, it's not hard to then wonder what to do in the case of the child who never leaves home. I don't know if MLS has any routine to automatically make someone their own HOH. I guess the question is when does a YSA transition to be their own HOH, and if not at 18, then when?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ckmcdonald wrote:Is there a "correct" way to handle HOH designation for this age group?
Unless the new Handbook changed something, I think the only correct answer is "Bishop's Prerogative" to the extent allowed by "Stake President's Prerogative".
ckmcdonald wrote:What are the pros/cons of having them be HOH or regrouping them under their parent? Does it matter?
It affects the HT/VT so it does have impact beyond just "clerk" stuff. That's why it's important to have the spiritual leaders decide that. You can read the lengthy thread When to Move Child Record to Head of Household for more discussion.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
greggo

Post by greggo »

RussellHltn wrote:It affects the HT/VT so it does have impact beyond just "clerk" stuff.
It doesn't really affect Visiting Teaching, as sisters are individually added to "the list" when they turn 18 (or otherwise become members of RS).

As EQ Pres, I suggested to the Branch Pres (and got approval) to have the single Pros Elders still living with parents all moved to their own HoH (we didn't have any MPH who weren't already HoH), as I wanted the home teachers to provide the appropriate focus on them as a separate HTing assignment. I wasn't as concerned with the over 18 sisters still grouped with parents, as they should already be getting the appropriate individual attention from visiting teachers.

Return to “Membership Help”