Calendar Web Services

Discussions around Mobile Development
mattcom

Calendar Web Services

Post by mattcom »

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but since I"m making a mobile app, this was the closest I found.

I'm using the communty web services and the Calendar Subscriptions work, but the following does not https://lds.org/church-calendar/service ... 1323147600 (LDS Tools services). Is this service depricated?

I've browsed around the wikis and it seems unclear as to which services can and can't be used or where those services reside. Are the LDS Tools services the best? or is there a more up to date web service?

Thanks,

Matthew
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mattcom wrote:I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but since I"m making a mobile app, this was the closest I found.

I'm using the communty web services and the Calendar Subscriptions work, but the following does not https://lds.org/church-calendar/service ... 1323147600 (LDS Tools services). Is this service depricated?

From my understanding, although the webservices are public, they are not to be used except by official applications developed by the Church or developed as official Community applications under the direction of the Church. My understanding comes from this post from Joel Dehlin, the CIO of the Church:
joel wrote:Actually, it's against our policy to have 3rd party apps use these web services. The policy going forward is that the only apps which can use LDS Account credentials are LDS Community apps.

Is this application you are talking about your own app, or are you working as part of an official Community team?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mattcom

Post by mattcom »

It was planned to be a present to the Bishop of the ward. So, I guess in that respect, it is my own. The original (made Saturday) used the database that ldstools has on the phone, but the chmod gets rewritten periodically. Which is why I started looking at the webservice. It maps the members of the ward on a map, the bishop can then group people in custom groupings (RS,EQ, etc), each map marker pops up household and contact info. Its intended uses are for emergency preparedness preparations (who's within walking distance of whom) which we've been discussing in ward council.

Return to “Mobile Development”