Serving in a Stake/Ward Unit outside of my home stake.

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
rjmerrill

Serving in a Stake/Ward Unit outside of my home stake.

Post by rjmerrill »

I am currently serving as a High Councilor in a Student Stake. Under the Classic Directory I am able to see the ward directory of the stake and ward that I am serving in. However, in the new directory I am only allowed to see the directory from my home ward.
Is there a way to correct this problem? The stake/ward directories are essential for us to be able to serve.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Admin note: Since this is about the new directory, I've moved the thread to the appropriate section.

As I understand it, there's a couple of things that need to be done. First, a out-of-unit record for you needs to be created in the MLS system of the unit you are serving in. Secondly, the Stake Web admin for the Classic site needs to set you up for access. Oddly enough, the Out-of-unit access for the new system is tied to the process used by the old one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

This has been discussed adequately in the forum. See this thread for a good discussion.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Actually, to have access to the out-of-unit stake directory, you should only need to have your calling properly recorded in CDOL. The new applications on lds.org grant access by checking CMIS to see which unit you are a member of, and by checking CDOL to see which units you have a calling in. I am not aware of any connection between the classic LUWS application and the new lds.org applications.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdcr256 wrote:I am not aware of any connection between the classic LUWS application and the new lds.org applications.

You may want to read this thread, as it seems to suggest there is a connection.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

RussellHltn wrote:You may want to read this thread, as it seems to suggest there is a connection.

The thread may suggest a connection, but as a member of the Directory project team, I am not aware of one. The directory application only uses two pieces of information to decide which units to give you access to. Your home unit number (where your records reside, which comes from CMIS) and the unit number of any units you have callings in (which come from CDOL). So if following the steps in the thread you linked to changes one of those two pieces of data, then there is a connection, but if not, well...

I'm not familiar with how the back-end of the Classic site is connected, so it is possible there is a connection, but I doubt it. Making changes in MLS can certainly affect CMIS and CDOL, but I don't see how Classic factors in.

The best way to go is to make sure that your out-of-unit calling is correct in CDOL. Once that is verified, you can check that the unit numbers are being sent correctly from CDOL to the LDS.org authentication system. This can be done by visiting https://lds.org/header after you are logged in to lds.org. The info on that page is a little cryptic, but if you can find the policy-ldspositions and policy-ldsunits entries, you can verify that they contain the correct info (ldspositions is your callings, and ldsunits is your home unit).

If you find a problem either in CDOL or in the lds.org/header page, Local Unit Support should be able to help you fix it.

NOTE: Please don't share the contents of your lds.org/header page publicly. If you look closely, you'll notice that it contains your own confidential information, such as MRN and email. This page exists only for debugging purposes and is used by support to help collect information from you if you have an issue.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I'll have to try this out, but I know some of my OOU leaders are not being given proper access, as reported in this post.

And as a clarification, it is https://lds.org/header (without the "s").https://lds.org/headers
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

crislapi wrote:And as a clarification, it is https://lds.org/header (without the "s").https://lds.org/headers

Thanks for the correction, I've edited my post.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

crislapi wrote:I'll have to try this out, but I know some of my OOU leaders are not being given proper access, as reported in this post.
Just to be clear, the issue you reported in the thread you referenced is not an issue with leaders not getting access to their units. It's an issue with the UI not correctly rendering the data under some circumstances. If you look in Firebug, you see that all the data is indeed in the browser, just not rendered (not that it does the user much good to know it's there but not be able to see it.)
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

jdcr256 wrote:Just to be clear, the issue you reported in the thread you referenced is not an issue with leaders not getting access to their units.
Thanks for the clarification. Any word on why they would be seeing outdated calendar information?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”