Some events should not display a starting and ending time

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mikedemke

Some events should not display a starting and ending time

Post by mikedemke »

There are going to be events that do not need to have a starting and ending time. Family Home Evening for example is not an "All Day Event" and also cannot be entered without putting a starting and ending time.

Other events that fit this category are certain service projects. They can can have a starting time but it should be open ended without a ending time. An Elders quorum moving assignment and a building cleaning assignment should not be limited to a time frame.

I would love to see this corrected.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I agree that events without resources should be able to be created with an option to have start and end times or not to have start and end times. However, those that use resources must have both a start time and an end time. In the examples given the one that must have a start and end time is a building cleaning assignment. It must have start and end times because it involves resources. There is potential for conflict if a building cleaning assignment is open ended and those who schedule an event have people trying to clean at the same time.

If the event is created with the "no location" or "other location" it should have the option for start and end times. Events at a location most definitely need start and end times.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mikedemke wrote:Other events that fit this category are certain service projects. They can can have a starting time but it should be open ended without a ending time. An Elders quorum moving assignment and a building cleaning assignment should not be limited to a time frame.

The problem becomes how to display them in week view without an ending time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ShariCarnahan

Post by ShariCarnahan »

I like the idea of the ability to have an open ended non-location item on the calendar. There are times that that could be handy.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:The problem becomes how to display them in week view without an ending time.
The event title would appear at the top of the column just under the day title just as an all-day event now does.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mikedemke wrote:There are going to be events that do not need to have a starting and ending time. Family Home Evening for example is not an "All Day Event" and also cannot be entered without putting a starting and ending time.

There is no difference between and all-day event and one that doesn't have a starting and ending time. So, don't worry about the label "All Day Event" and just pretend that it is called "Event with no starting or ending time" and you'll be fine.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:
RussellHltn wrote:The problem becomes how to display them in week view without an ending time.
The event title would appear at the top of the column just under the day title just as an all-day event now does.
But that approach wouldn't show the starting time properly.

I haven't seen any compelling reason for an event with no end time yet. The examples given do have some sort of ending time. If there is a moving assignment, for example, I don't think you can show up at 11:00pm and make a contribution. Those who schedule such an event may not know the precise ending time, but they should just take their best guess. That will be considerably more helpful than specifying no end time at all.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I haven't seen any compelling reason for an event with no end time yet. The examples given do have some sort of ending time. If there is a moving assignment, for example, I don't think you can show up at 11:00pm and make a contribution. Those who schedule such an event may not know the precise ending time, but they should just take their best guess. That will be considerably more helpful than specifying no end time at all.

+1

In addition, I question how useful it is to add FHE as that's something that's scheduled by the individual families. It just adds to calendar clutter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”