Building Schedulers creating events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
drepouille

Building Schedulers creating events

Post by drepouille »

The building scheduler for our stake center asked the following:
"Why can I not make an event on the calendar, but I can input a reservation? (i.e., Tuesday night, Dec 6, 6:30 - 8:30 Special Cub Scout Meeting."

My response was:
"Building schedulers create reservations on the reservations calendar. Ward and Stake leaders create events on an appropriate ward or stake event calendar."

I could have gone into more detail, but I think what I said is correct. Building Schedulers are not administrators or calendar editors by default. Their job is to create reservations that prevent unit leaders from creating events during times reserved for other units.

We must train stake councils and ward councils that it is their job to notify the building scheduler of reservations that are needed, and then to create events on the appropriate stake or ward calendars so other members can see the events on the calendar.

Am I right?
Thanks,
Dana
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

drepouille wrote:We must train stake councils and ward councils that it is their job to notify the building scheduler of reservations that are needed, and then to create events on the appropriate stake or ward calendars so other members can see the events on the calendar.
The Reservation calendar only restricts who can reserve the building resources, it does NOT actually reserve anything.
Actual reservations are made by the calendar editors
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:We must train stake councils and ward councils that it is their job to notify the building scheduler of reservations that are needed, and then to create events on the appropriate stake or ward calendars so other members can see the events on the calendar.

Am I right?

I think you are right.

The example you used of a building scheduler creating a reservation for a specific night shows that the building scheduler is trying to use reservations where an event should be used. The cubmaster or some ward leader should be creating that event. Only events are on calendars that can be subscribed to; only events are synchronized with third-party calendars; only events truly book a room; only events can trigger notifications to people who have subscribed to the appropriate calendar (and have notifications turned on). For these and other reasons, only an Event should be used for almost every specific item.

Trying to use a reservation when an event should be used will most likely lead to confusion and problems.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kd7mha wrote:Actual reservations are made by the calendar editors
I understand what you are trying to say, but disagree with the use of "reservation". A reservation only reserves a room for a unit. Only an event dedicates the room for a specific meeting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

RussellHltn wrote:I understand what you are trying to say, but disagree with the use of "reservation". A reservation only reserves a room for a unit. Only an event dedicates the room for a specific meeting.

yeah I was distracted by my 2 yr old using me for a climbing wall, let me rephrase

Actual "Booking" of a resource is done by the calendar editor
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
luisbeal

Post by luisbeal »

Is there a guidebook that shows exactly what each calling can and cannot do on a calendar? I am a stake website administrator and I thought I was only in charge of adding events to the stake calendar and the ward building scheduler that meets at the stake center would reserve the rooms, since I don't know who meets where. The building scheduler though is being asked to add events and reserve rooms on the stake calendar. So we're a bit confused as to who can add events to the stake calendar and reserve rooms and who cannot. A guidebook with instructions would be very helpful but I could not find one on wiki. Thanks,
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to read the Help Manual for the calendar. If you don't have the link, just click on "Help". That's where the church places the user documentation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The "guidebook" is all the wiki articles within the category calendar. It can be accessed by clicking the Help button on the upper right of the calendar page. Alternatively it can be accessed directly at the LDSTech Wiki and enter "calendar" in the wiki search.

The section titled Managing rights and roles provides detailed information about the rights and roles of the calendar.

There are some excellent getting started videos on the Calendar page.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Note also that if you think the help is missing some information, you can add to it (it is a wiki).

Return to “Calendar”