Donating to Missionary Fund Outside of Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jeffery3030

Donating to Missionary Fund Outside of Ward

Post by jeffery3030 »

My question deals with donating funds to a particular missionary that lives outside of our ward boundaries. A member of our ward approached me and wanted to know if there was any way to donate funds towards his nephew's mission through our ward. We are located in Michigan, and the departing missionary currently resides in Utah. Is there any way that the donation can be made to our ward in Michigan and applied towards the missionary in Utah? Or does the member need to mail/take the donation to the missionary's home ward from Utah?
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

The current handbook states that donations to specific missionaries who are outside of the donor's unit boundaries should not be made unless it is a family member.

That said, the answer is no - you can make donations to specific missionaries only to missionaries in your own ward as there is no way to designate the recipient if he is not based in your unit. You may make donations to the general mission fund but the monies will not make it to a designated missionary.

That said again, I have processed contributions from family members who sent their donation to the missionary's family and they in turn submitted the donation when they came in on Sunday. These were processed as an out of unit donation.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

We have number of family members of missionaries from our ward who mail their missionary support donations directly to our bishop and we process them with our regular donation batch. We then mail them the official year end statement.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

jeffery3030 wrote:My question deals with donating funds to a particular missionary that lives outside of our ward boundaries. A member of our ward approached me and wanted to know if there was any way to donate funds towards his nephew's mission through our ward. We are located in Michigan, and the departing missionary currently resides in Utah. Is there any way that the donation can be made to our ward in Michigan and applied towards the missionary in Utah? Or does the member need to mail/take the donation to the missionary's home ward from Utah?
No. Missionaries can only be supported from their home unit. If they want their donation to be applied to a specific missionary, they must send the funds to that specific unit.
lilscorpie

Re: Donating to Missionary Fund Outside of Ward

Post by lilscorpie »

There is a way to donate to a specific missionary online through the lds website. You can also pay your tithing online. You just need to know which ward that Missionary was a member of before they went on their mission. I've done it for 3 sister missionaris that served in my ward at some point.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

lilscorpie wrote:There is a way to donate to a specific missionary online through the lds website. You can also pay your tithing online. You just need to know which ward that Missionary was a member of before they went on their mission. I've done it for 3 sister missionaries that served in my ward at some point.
Hi. You are correct. This thread is 5 years old and has outdated information. You can still mail a donation to the missionary's home ward, but indeed as you say it is easier to now use the online system instead.
bruce56rt

Post by bruce56rt »

Is this available for outside of the United States? I don't see this as an option while logged in to lds.org, and I am in Canada.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bruce56rt wrote:Is this available for outside of the United States? I don't see this as an option while logged in to lds.org, and I am in Canada.
Not that I know of. Different banking system. Looking in the Help Center, it appears to be US and Brazil only.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ham9

Post by ham9 »

Can anyone tell me where in the LDS system we can send money to missionaries living outside of our ward boundaries? I went to donations, and then to missionaries, but it only shows the missionaries in my own ward, and there is no where that I can see to put another unit number to donate to for a specific missionary outside of my ward.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ham9 wrote:Can anyone tell me where in the LDS system we can send money to missionaries living outside of our ward boundaries? I went to donations, and then to missionaries, but it only shows the missionaries in my own ward, and there is no where that I can see to put another unit number to donate to for a specific missionary outside of my ward.
As you are making a donation, there is a dropdown under "Ward Missionary Fund" labeled "Select a missionary..." The very first item in the list has a blue background (because it is the default selection if you press Enter) and is titled "Missionary in Other Ward or Branch." Click that, and you'll then see a box where you can enter the unit number for the other ward.

You might have missed it, because the blue background sort of makes it look like a heading, rather than the currently selected item in the list.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”