And Then What?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
HansG

And Then What?

Post by HansG »

At the bottom of some forms it says:

"The clerk should file this completed form with the membership records until the next audit of membership records has been completed."

The implication is that the forms are shredded after the audit. . . Is that what you do?

I hate to shred something that seems so important, but I guess we're well into this new brave digital age. . .
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I would direct you to the wiki article on record retention and this thread. For membership related documents, it is not as clearly spelled out as it is for financial records. Basically, if the form's information is recorded on the membership record, then keep the form until you have confirmed the membership record is updated. If it does not get recorded on the membership record, keep it for 1 year plus current. Membership transaction reports may actually contain information MLS does not retain, but that's more of a local decision. I liked keeping them because that would tell me where a member's records were moved to once they left the ward and, if we knew it and were the ones to move the records out, their address, email and phone number.

Return to “Membership Help”