MLS files to transfer to new computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

MLS files to transfer to new computer

Post by craiggsmith »

I'm setting up a new computer for an existing ward and it's been a while and I wanted to confirm what I should transfer over. Support says simply to restore a backup, whereas I remember an old thread that said to include the units folder. Others have said to copy the entire LDS Church directory. And then there are the backup directories.

I also wonder if getting a data refresh sent down would be the same as restoring from a backup. My friendly CUBS contact says that you should never do a restore any more; the only value in a backup now is if you can't do a send/receive.

Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

craiggsmith wrote:I'm setting up a new computer for an existing ward and it's been a while and I wanted to confirm what I should transfer over. Support says simply to restore a backup, whereas I remember an old thread that said to include the units folder. Others have said to copy the entire LDS Church directory. And then there are the backup directories.
The instructions at the wiki article "MLS installation and repair" provides the necessary instructions. Essentially copying the entire MLS folder will transfer most of the data. But also note that a restore from backup should be accomplished.

Make sure you note the path differences when going from a Windows XP system to a Windows 7 system.
craiggsmith wrote:I also wonder if getting a data refresh sent down would be the same as restoring from a backup.
A data refresh only affects membership data. It does not include all membership related data such as class assignments, baby blessings, and some others I can't recall right now that are only stored on the local MLS.
craiggsmith wrote:My friendly CUBS contact says that you should never do a restore any more; the only value in a backup now is if you can't do a send/receive.
That is bad information also. CUBS has synchronized all the financial data that MLS and Church records have in common. But there is still some financial data that is stored only on MLS. For example all your budget subcategory data and AMFA subcategory data is only stored on MLS. Subcategory data is rolled up to the parent category on Church HQ records.

It is for the reasons I stated above for both membership data and finance data that backups are necessary and why you need to do a restore. I am not certain that moving the entire folder is necessary anymore but it would be a safe move until someone can confirm there is no additional data stored there that is not available in a backup.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks very much. That is a good web page to be aware of. There is a lot of stuff in those folders though! The support person I talked to did check with someone else before confirming that I didn't need to copy any folders over, but I'd still like further confirmation.

I am not sure the comments regarding the financial data are correct any more though -- that was the case, but as of recent releases CUBS now contains everything, down to the lowest level. That is my understanding from the most authoritative person on the CUBS project, but I will double-check in case I misunderstood.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

In reading the instructions I didn't think the Program Files directory made much sense, but further down I see updated paths. That explains part of my confusion. It seems it would be appropriate to just update the paths listed initially as everyone ought to be long past 3.2 by now, no?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Don't worry about the program files folder. It used to be necessary to copy some folders under All Users over because the data they contained were not included in the backup - financial statements, saved documents/forms, etc. I know that statements are again included in the backup, but I'm not sure about saved forms. This is another option to consider.

My suggestion would be to just load MLS on the new computer and restore your unit from the latest backup. If anything is missing, then you can copy folders over. Check your messages, financial statements, budget, and saved forms sections in MLS.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

OK, thanks!
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

THIS is what I did with the new Dell PC's we received in our stake. As crislapi pointed out, grabbing everything like I did may not be necessary, but considering the old HD's were soon going to be wiped, I wanted to be sure I didn't leave anything behind.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Mikerowaved wrote:THIS is what I did with the new Dell PC's we received in our stake.
If your new computers are running windows 7, be sure to take note of this post in that same thread.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Great, thanks everyone!
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Clerk Computers”