Tithing settlement question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
zuzbo

Tithing settlement question

Post by zuzbo »

I have a member who had an incomplete record. We found he had another record, aand had Church Headquarters compile the 2. Now his tithing that was paid before the consolidation, says it is an out of unit donation. Is there a way to make it show under his "real" record? Thanks,

Dan Jensen
Ammon 18th Ward Clerk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think you should be able edit each donation to link to the "real" record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

Sure. Just merge the two records. Select both records, hit "merge," make sure the record you want is identified as the surviving record, and complete the process. If you don't have two records click on the out-of-unit record and relink out to his member record.
zuzbo

Post by zuzbo »

When I try to merge them, it says you can't merge 2 members. Sorry I am new to this, is there another way to merge them.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

zuzbo wrote:When I try to merge them, it says you can't merge 2 members. Sorry I am new to this, is there another way to merge them.
Because he had two official member records, he had two membership numbers. Both donor records you have are assigned to a different member number and hence the reason you can't merge them. I would first try changing the member record linked to the "bad" donor record. Select member of unit and then in the drop down list, select the correct member name. It might not let you because a donor record already exists for that member record, however.

If that doesn't work, can you distinguish between the two donor names? If not, edit the "bad" record name so they do. Do not send/receive as that will revert the name back to what was on the member record. I would then print a donor statement for the "bad" donor name and then go to each donation listed on the statement (in view/update donations) and edit each donation listed by changing the donor to the "good" donor name. Essentially, you have assigned the donations to the wrong member and need to update that.
zuzbo

Post by zuzbo »

Thank you very much!! Is there a way to remove the "bad" one from the donor list? Both show up and the bad one shows out of unit. We can keep this from happening again if I can make it disappear...:)
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

crislapi wrote:Because he had two official member records, he had two membership numbers. Both donor records you have are assigned to a different member number and hence the reason you can't merge them. I would first try changing the member record linked to the "bad" donor record. Select member of unit and then in the drop down list, select the correct member name. It might not let you because a donor record already exists for that member record, however.
I've never tried this but you might be able to change the 'bad' donor record to Not A Member/Miscellaneous and then merge it into the 'good' donor record.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zuzbo wrote:Thank you very much!! Is there a way to remove the "bad" one from the donor list? Both show up and the bad one shows out of unit. We can keep this from happening again if I can make it disappear...:)
In Add/Update Donors, go to the "bad" donor, and change the dropdown from "Visible" to "Hidden". Once you've changed all the donations to be associated with the "good" one, there's no point in doing a merge -- that doesn't delete the bad donor any more than hiding it does.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

zuzbo wrote:Thank you very much!! Is there a way to remove the "bad" one from the donor list? Both show up and the bad one shows out of unit. We can keep this from happening again if I can make it disappear...:)
Donors cannot be deleted other than automatically if they have not donated within the retention period. They can only be hidden, as described by aebrown, which prevents them from showing on your enter donations screen.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”