Suggestion: Make Events Viewable on Multiple Calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jhammond

Suggestion: Make Events Viewable on Multiple Calendars

Post by jhammond »

For example, joint young men/young women activities. For now, I have to choose the event to either be listed as YM or YW. Or ask both leaders to schedule it individually (duplication of effort).

If you could ctrl-select from among the different calendars when scheduling an event, then the event would show for all calendars associated with a given event.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

I made up a "Combined YM/YW Calendar", so those interested in either of these auxiliaries should check, or subscribe, to this one as well as the YW or the YM Calendar and would see the activities that are for both the YW and YM.

I can see the logic of wanting to have certain activities appear on multiple calendars, but for those that are subscribed to all of those calendars involved, they would have multiple entries listed on their calendar for the same activity. If they printed it out, it could easily fill up the whole box if there were lots of entries on that day, say like on your ward's activity night.

Margie
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jhammond wrote:For example, joint young men/young women activities. For now, I have to choose the event to either be listed as YM or YW. Or ask both leaders to schedule it individually (duplication of effort).

If you could ctrl-select from among the different calendars when scheduling an event, then the event would show for all calendars associated with a given event.
This is addressed in the help system under Publishing to multiple calendars at once. And it's been discussed many times on the forum; see, for example, Calendar tags vs separate calendars.

Unfortunately, it's not so simple as just selecting multiple calendars. With the distributed scheduling model, permissions for calendars are spread out among different people. Those who have rights to put an event on the YM calendar are not exactly the same people who have rights to put an event on the YW calendar. And I'm sure this would be a significant change to the database structure.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Like margiestroble, we've made a combined YM/YW calendar for those events. BYC is another example of an event that really must show on several calendars.
Olivertwist7

Post by Olivertwist7 »

jhammond wrote:For example, joint young men/young women activities. For now, I have to choose the event to either be listed as YM or YW. Or ask both leaders to schedule it individually (duplication of effort).

*Only problem I see with this is that the auxillary that is responsible won't always take ownership of the event like they should. We actually have one calendar that says "Joint Youth" and "Combined Youth". Parents can be informed to click on both calendars and the auxillary responsible for posting the event, can put it in one of those calendars to be viewed. Just a suggestion. :)

Return to “Calendar”