DELL 580 PC's

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
techgy
Community Moderators

DELL 580 PC's

Post by techgy »

Our stake received a batch of Dell 580 pc's about two months ago and I've been slowly working to get them installed. This afternoon my Bishop called to say that his computer was dead. It had power, but wouldn't boot or go into the setup mode. No response from the keyboard at all. To save time, I used another new computer which had been destined for another ward as a replacement. I simply swapped hard-drives and had our ward back on-line in a few minutes.

I've also seen multiple instances where the "pair" of USB ports in the rear of the machine gets turned off in the CMOS. This has happened 3 times - twice to me and once a short while ago to another ward.

As these boxes are brand new I'm starting to wonder just how reliable they are going to be.

Has anyone else experienced any issues with the DELL 580's??
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
rgme

Post by rgme »

The only issue I've had with the six I've installed is one that had a bad memory module after a couple months. Took it out, but still need to get it replaced under warranty. The machine is still running fine with 2gb, though.

Regarding diagnostics, I found it especially helpful to pay attention to any beeps or error lights on the case. The manual for decoding them is at https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/ ... /diags.htm. I was able to remotely diagnose the problem and walk the clerk through the steps to remedy it.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I had one motherboard go bad a few weeks after setting up the new computer. However, I've only set up 3 total, so not a large sample size. The other 2 have not had a single problem.

About the CMOS, would checking the Dell site for updated BIOS help? The service tag can be found on a sticker on your PC.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I've had 4 with no problems; had a DOA power supply in a 740 though.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I contacted Dell this afternoon and they had me do a few checks of various things.
The result was that memory slots #1, #2 (out of 4) are both defective.
They're sending out a repair technician with a new board.

I just hope that this resolves the problem and we don't additional issues with the remaining 7 systems.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
rgme

Post by rgme »

techgy wrote:I contacted Dell this afternoon and they had me do a few checks of various things.
The result was that memory slots #1, #2 (out of 4) are both defective.

What did they have you check? I just heard one of our computers had some issues with memory not being recognized.
qualheim

Post by qualheim »

The Optiplex units are usually quite solid; I have one on my desk at work that's been running nearly 24/7 for 4 years now and it's still chugging along fine (with the exception of a broken DVD drive.) If I had to guess... I'd say that unless you're receiving these units directly from Dell, if you're seeing high failure rates, it's probably due to handling/storage issues. It's amazing what damp closets or being thrown into the back of a minivan will do...
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

rgme wrote:What did they have you check? I just heard one of our computers had some issues with memory not being recognized.
If you suspect memory issues, I highly recommend running either MemTest86 or MemTest86+. (Similar products, just different development teams.) Either one will work with these systems. Both products run from a bootable CD that's easy to create.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
qualheim

Post by qualheim »

Mikerowaved wrote:If you suspect memory issues, I highly recommend running either MemTest86 or MemTest86+. (Similar products, just different development teams.) Either one will work with these systems. Both products run from a bootable CD that's easy to create.
You can also run Dell's official diagnostic CD (available as an ISO download at support.dell.com,) which is what their techs may make you run anyway if you need warranty support.

Return to “Clerk Computers”