PDF file of the calendar?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ffrsqpilot

PDF file of the calendar?

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I'm not that up on technology but can generally follow directions very well! I have a request from the stake president to see if it is possible to make a pdf file of the 2012 Stake Calendar that he needs to send to an Area Presidency. I looked at our stake calendar and looked at how it works but I don't see offhand how to make a copy of it - especially a pdf copy of the entire year. I think I could figure out how to do it month by month but for an entire year seems like pushing it.

Anyone aware of how to make a pdf copy of an entire year calendar? Thanks bunches!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

FFRsqpilot wrote:Anyone aware of how to make a pdf copy of an entire year calendar?

Here are the steps:
  1. Go to Month view.
  2. Go to a month in the year you want to print (2012).
  3. Click the Print button
  4. By "Month" choose the "From" radio button.
  5. In the From dropdown, select January 2012
  6. In the To dropdown, select December 2012
  7. You may want to choose some of the Advanced options
  8. Click the Download button
  9. Save the PDF file
That step 2 is essential, since you can only pick months in the current year (meaning the year of the month you are looking at) for the From and To dates.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Hints for printing a yearly calendar

Post by kisaac »

The download PDF option is grouped as an option under the "print" option (top right,) as aebrown directs. Logically, one would expect to see it as an option next to the print button. (But technically, I suspect the computer uses the same process to print or generate the PDF- Thus the button really could be more correctly labeled "Output: Print or Download")

You'll want to experiment with the Font Size option: "Normal," the default, while readable, may be too big to fit all your events on some days. We chose "smallest" when we did it in the hopes more events (or more of long event titles) could be displayed on crowded days. (See line limit, below)
aebrown wrote:
  • You may want to choose some of the Advanced options
Under "advanced options," find the "black and white" box and experiment with it as well. If this will be printed on a typical church black and white laser printer by whomever you send your PDF to, selecting this will make a hardcopy printout FAR MORE READABLE, especially if you will then be photocopying it. You may prefer it anyway in your pdf, as I think the rainbow of colors, even on a pdf, get distracting if you don't need to differentiate the calendars they are on.

Finally, realize that there is a "line limit" on the month view, so some days you may have events that will not be shown because you've used up all the space for that day. I wish there was a line at the bottom of these days, perhaps like this:[INDENT][INDENT]* Some events not shown
[/INDENT][/INDENT]Is it 9 lines per day? I counted once, but can't remember.
pani

Post by pani »

Alternatively export the calendar to another program that allows you to print it as you want, and change the formatting inc. the amount of text you see.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

As I mentione in my post.....thanks bunches. This is a great help. I can always count on the folks here to be a big help.

Thanks again.
Jim
ari86m

Exporting New Calendar?

Post by ari86m »

pani wrote:Alternatively export the calendar to another program that allows you to print it as you want, and change the formatting inc. the amount of text you see.

I knew how to export the old calendar to multiple formats. Is there a way to Print/download the new calendar to other calendar formats so it can be used in other calendar programs?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ari86m wrote:I knew how to export the old calendar to multiple formats. Is there a way to Print/download the new calendar to other calendar formats so it can be used in other calendar programs?
You can follow the instructions in the help system to Export an iCal file, which can then be imported into many different calendar programs. Or you can follow the instructions for Syncing with third-party calendars.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”