Separating and Correcting old donations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ElliotQuinton

Separating and Correcting old donations

Post by ElliotQuinton »

Help me solve a problematic situation. During tithing settlement, a member raised the concern that many of their contributions have been incorrectly attributed to their son. Both father and son have the same name, live in the same house, have wives who's name differs by only one letter, both use bill-pay checks generated by Chase, and neither ever submit donation slips. Its a bit of the perfect storm waiting to happen; of course, a few donations went to the wrong name.

Several of the errors were easy to correct, because the entire slip was entered for the wrong name and could be reassigned. However, on two occasions, both father and son made donations on the same week and their checks were combined into a single donation slip.

In MLS, I can't seem to edit anything other than the name and the allocation/amounts (tithing, FO). I can't add a new slip, alter the checks (or break one off to a new donation), or delete/recreate new donation slips. I understand that batch has limitations to how it can be altered, but I'm not sure how to correct this issue (or best way).

Obviously going forward are refining what we expect from these members, and the way we will process this special case.
Bro. Elliot Quinton
Ward Finance Clerk
Issaquah 5th Ward
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest calling local unit support on Monday. It sounds like you don't have the tools to fix it yourself.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ElliotQuinton

Post by ElliotQuinton »

Ya, that was an easy (obvious) call to CHQ. Quickly resolved, and the analyst recommended setting up one of the households with direct deposits to CHQ (there were more details to the story I didn't share).
Bro. Elliot Quinton
Ward Finance Clerk
Issaquah 5th Ward

Return to “Local Unit Finance”