2012 Times Displayed Wrong

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
srupp

2012 Times Displayed Wrong

Post by srupp »

Our Stake is just migrating to the new calendar. All of the 2011 dates and times (classic) appear to be correct on the new calendar regardless of what OS or browser I am using.

My problem is the times do not appear to be getting set correctly in 2012 for the Stake calendar (new). On the laptop I set up the 2012 calendar with, I am using XP and Firefox and all of the times appear correctly. On a different home computer I am using Vista and IE and the meeting times on the Stake calendar are off two hours (other Stake members have reported the times are off by two hours as well). Both of my computers are set to MST and auto adjust for day light savings.

I don't want to keep loading the 2012 calendar until I get this conflict resolved. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

When you say that other stake members report seeing event times off by two hours, is that a consistent problem reported by all members, or just a few?

If it's all members that see the problem, then you are down to one computer -- the laptop that you set up the 2012 calendar with -- that sees the events at the correct times, and everyone else sees the wrong times. That seems to be an indication that there is something wrong with the time zone settings on that computer, even though I know that you said that your laptop is set for MST.

I'm also a bit confused about your statement that "All of the 2011 dates and times (classic) appear to be correct on the new calendar." You use the term "classic" and "new" in the same sentence. The only way I know of that it can make any sense for "classic" times to appear on the "new" calendar is if you are talking about events imported from the 2011 classic calendar into the new calendar. Is that what you mean, or something else?

And where do the 2012 events come from? Are you entering those events by hand, or are you importing those from the classic calendar?

Note also that each location has its own time zone. Have you looked closely at the events that are off, to see if they might all be for the same location(s)? If so, you might have a location with the wrong time zone setting. I know you said that "all the times" are off, so that's unlikely to be a factor, but I just thought I'd mention it for completeness.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
srupp

Post by srupp »

I will try and answer each of your questions seperately.

I have only checked with a few members that have looked at the new calendar and they all report the times are off by two hours.

I believe the issue is isolated, so far, to one computer. As I mentioned, I verified that the time zones were set correctly on both computers so I am worried that others are going to have the same issue even though my entire Stake is in one time zone. Does the new calendar program time settings respond differntly based on the browser I am using?

Sorry for not clarifying. The 2011 dates from the classic calendar were imported to the new caledar. All of the times were correct for 2011 in the new caledar regardless of what computer OS or browser I am using. All of the times in the new calendar for 2012 were manualy entered. The accuracy of the 2012 times seems to depend on what computer / browser I am using. What will happen to members of the Stake that look at the new calendar and have a problem wiht a time zone setting?

I have verified that all locations are using the same time zone setting.

Thanks again for your help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Thanks for the clarifications.

You said "I believe the issue is isolated, so far, to one computer," but since that was the computer that was used for entering all of the 2012 events, it has led to all those events being wrong. Since you have multiple reports of the event times being off by two hours, and zero reports of the event times being correct -- except for your laptop on which the events were entered -- I have to think that the problem is somehow with that computer.

One additional troubleshooting step would be to use a different computer to enter an event in 2012 with a specific time. Then ask someone else in your stake to look at that event and see if the time is correct. If it is, then I think it's safe to assume that all the events entered on your laptop are truly off by two hours, and thus everyone's view of those events is correct. That means you'll have to adjust the times for all those events using a different computer. That should allow you to move forward with your calendaring, as long as you avoid using your laptop for calendaring purposes until you can figure out what its problem is.

As for your laptop, I'm not sure why it is having this problem, but if I were in your shoes, I would try a couple of troubleshooting steps:
  • Try a different browser to see if it acts differently.
  • Set the time zone to something different, then change it back to MST.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just as a thought, what months are you looking at? Remember, it wasn't that long ago that the US changed the start/end dates of DST. I have to wonder if the computer in question didn't get a update to reflect those changes if that might affect the calendar during the period of time between the new start and old start dates.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”