Permissible callings following re-baptism

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dannykos

Permissible callings following re-baptism

Post by dannykos »

Does anyone know the list of potential callings in a ward that someone 'could' serve in - following re-baptism? I know a person can't serve in a calling that requires a temple recommend, or to be a holder of the priesthood.

I've been trying to find out a definitive list of callings & the requirements one would need to meet to hold them - but the handbooks offer little guidance. Some callings are obvious - but others I'm not totally sure about.

Any assistance gratefully received.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

IIRC, (and I don't have a Handbook at hand) once the blessings are restored, it's as if it never happened. I don't think they'd be called to be the next bishop, but I don't think there's any limitations per se.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

There is no list. A re-admitted member is no different than a newly baptised convert up until they have a restoration of blessings, which must be at least a year after re-baptism.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Thanks for the comments - however I'm referring to the period of time between being re-baptised (a fortnight ago) - and blessings being restored (at least a year from now).

I'm just not sure which callings have a priesthood/recommend requirement - for instance, an assistant advisor in young mens? The handbooks are pretty silent on the specific requirements for each calling - which makes it hard to know what said person is eligible to be considered for.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dannykos wrote:I'm just not sure which callings have a priesthood requirement - for instance, an assistant advisor in young mens? The handbooks are pretty silent on the specific requirements for each calling - which makes it hard to know what said person is eligible to be considered for.
Male members who have been rebaptized (but have not had blessings restored) are just like any other male member without the priesthood in terms of callings. So the only decision point is if the priesthood is required for a calling. There are only a few callings where the handbooks specifically mention that a person must hold the priesthood (bishopric, clerks, executive secretary, home teacher). That requirement isn't even specifically mentioned for the Young Men Presidency, but I would think that they should hold the priesthood.

Beyond that, I would follow the general principle that where the handbooks are silent on a particular topic, priesthood leaders with keys make the decisions as directed by the spirit, and as they counsel with their leaders. So as a bishop, you would make those decisions, and counsel with your stake president if you have questions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Thanks for your insightful response. I did mention it to my stake president, but he wasn't immediately sure either. I'll go with what feels right.

Return to “General Discussions”